Thread: Service Records for WWII Meteorological Officers

Thanks

Default Service Records for WWII Meteorological Officers

Hi

I would like any information please regarding obtaining service records for Meteorological Officers.
    My late grandfather served as a civil servant as a Met Officer during WWII and the family are trying to trace exactly where he served, he was later promoted as a rank
    of Flying Officer later during the war.
    Any pointers as to where records might be kept is most welcome.

Thanks

Autogiro, Hi,
    I have some information on quite a lot of the WW2 uniformed meteorologists (it is an ongoing project!). If you can give me his name and number I will see if I have anything on him!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Many thanks.
    His name was Montague Edward Pitcher, number not know sadly.
    We do know he was at White Waltham, Kirkbride, Jurby and the Middle East but not sure in which order but that's about it for WWII if that helps.
    I have been in contact with someone in the Isle of Man who is looking for any mention in the Jurby ORB.

Thanks

Autogiro, H,
    I am, I’m afraid, not going to be much use to you!
    All I have on your Grandfather is that he was Commissioned as a Flying Officer into the RAFVR (Met Branch), Officer’s Service Number (140761), on 1 Apr 1943. Some 870-odd ‘Met Men’ were also Commissioned on that date! He retained that Commission until he Relinquished it on 4 May 1959. Both these are from the London Gazette.
    From this we can deduce that he was already an experienced Forecaster at Commissioning.
    Having retained his Commission until 4 May 1959 does not mean he wore RAF uniform up until then. At some date (unknown at this time – but probably before the early 50’s) he would have been de-Mobilised.
    I also extracted from the ‘usual sites’ his BMD data. Born 4 May 1914 (Reg Southwark 1d 54). So that means that he would probably have Retired (aged 60) from the Civil Service at some stage before 4 May 1974. A Death Reg of Henley may (rpt may) indicate a last Posting at Bomber Command (my colleague Lyffe may know?) or Benson – but we are ‘feeling our way in the dark’ at this point!!
    From your list of Stations he served at it is not possible to determine what his ‘speciality’ (if any) may have been. Station ORBs very rarely record the movements of relatively junior Met Officers. The Met Office PERS files of uniformed staff failed to survive the move from Victory House in London to Bracknell. But his RAF Service Record almost certainly will have survived. This can be obtained by following the procedures in https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...cords/overview. It will cost you 30 and take 12(?) weeks to arrive – although most of those that we have requested recently have actually arrived in the 5-7 week bracket! This Service Record will tell you where/when he went. It will be full of arcane acronyms, short-forms, etc, etc. There are many on this Forum who will help you decipher the more difficult ones!! I would love to know his uniformed Postings!
    Sorry not to be of more help, but HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd October 2016 at 12:24. Reason: QSD

Thanks

Autogiro/Peter,

You might find the following interesting:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...3733/page/4454

Col.

Thanks

COL,
    Tks for that. On 25 Jun 1931 he would only have been 17 yrs old. So this is the announcement of his successful application to join the Civil Service (in Air Min Met Office). A ‘Met Clerk’ in those days was probably nearer to what we would now know (and in WW2) as a ‘Met Assistant’. He would then (probably) have attended Night School (in his own time!!) to obtain the required qualifications required for training/promotion to Forecaster.
    As an aside - when I joined it, in the early 50’s, I was only ‘Temporary’. After some time you had your Establishment Interview. If you passed that you then became an Established Civil Servant (increased Annual Leave, and – in those days – the all-important Govt Pension).
    There thus was, in those days, a much increased ‘transparency’ for (at least the junior) Civil Servants. Their pay rates were published into the public domain, and their Promotions, Establishments, etc, were announced in the London Gazette for all to see!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd October 2016 at 13:22.

Thanks

Autogiro,
    I have "put the word out on the streets" on another (social, as opposed to technical!) 'Ex-Met' forum.
    If they don't know then we are all in big trouble!!!
    Wait and see! - but don't hold your breath!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter & Col

Thank you both very much for all the information so far very much appreciated.
    Peter yes you are correct he was at Benson certainly during the 1950's/60's that much we do know as well as Lyneham & Upavon but these we all know about he then moved on to Heathrow were he retired in 1974 I believe so spot on.

Thanks

AG

I was a forecaster at Upavon from 1966 until 1975 but regret your grandfather's name is not ringing any bells. Two of Upavon's senior forecasters from the period (and before) are still alive; I'm in contact with both and one lives about a mile from me. I'll ask if they have any recall of him. I've had a look in the Met Office Library catalogue but he does not appear to have had a literary bent.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian

Many thanks, my grandfather would have been at Upavon in the 1950's when he lived down in Wiltshire and Lyneham also around that time.