Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Australian Casualties

Thanks

Default W/O R. Hardie - 902422

Marauder II FB509 of 3 ADU. Engine fire on ferry flight; crashed 8 km SW of Catania.

Thanks

Default PO John Mckechnie Paulsen

My father J M Paulsen was killed by a direct bomb hit on an airfield in Cilacap, Indonesia on 5 Mar 1942. Although born in Scotland he migrated to Australia and married a scottish girl that he met on the ship voyage to Australia. He was an Accountant with Dunlop Rubber based in Brisbane at the time of his enlistment in the RAF.

Thanks

Default Australian Air Force lost members

I recently completed am investigation of FLT/LT John Wilson who was lost in the shoot down of Halifax JD413 on 1/9/1943/

Should any person require details one can be contacted at colin.tigwell@bigpond/com

Regards

Col

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thorne83 View Post
    I've just checked;

Andrew H S Evans death registered in Barnstable, aged 24, so possible he did have a family tie to Berwick.

Tom
    Gents I am researching this crash at the momentand I will post more info when I have it

Thanks

I can add the following for Evans, from the Berwickshire News and General Advertiser, March 4th 1941:

Military Funeral at Cockburnspath

Mrs. Evans, of Adelaide, Australia, at present residing at Akieside Cottage, Cove, Cockburnspath, received intimation last week that her only son, Sergeant Andrew Harold Sargent Evans, R.A.F., was seriously ill at hospital in the south of England. She immediately prepared to journey to the hospital, but before setting out received notice that her son had died.
    Mrs. Evans, a daughter of the late Mr. James Doughty, contractor, Duns, and of Mrs. Doughty, Adelaide, emigrated to Australia with her family when 17 years of age. She eventually married Mr. Evans, an Australian, who, while gallantly serving in the A.I.F. during the last great war, died from wounds received on the Western Front. Her son was educated at Unley Model School, South Australia, and at the Technical High School at Theberation [sic]. Flying, however, was his ambition, and, early in 1939, he came over to join the R.A.F. Volunteer Reserve, Mrs. Evans accompanying him to the Mother Country. Last November, while on duty, he was wounded, and on February 18 he was seriously injured through a flying accident, dying the following day before his mother could reach him.
    The funeral (which Mrs. Evans could not announce to her Duns friends because of interrupted and uncertain traffic services) took place, with military honours, to Cockburnspath Churchyard on Monday afternoon, detachments from local K.O.S.B. and R.A.F. being present, in addition to mourners from Cove and Cockburnspath. The services were conducted by the Rev. D. F. Philip, Parish minister. A piper preceded the funeral cortege, a firing party was at the graveside and a bugler sounded the Last Post.
    Sergeant Pilot Evans, who was 24 years of age, gave promise of a brilliant career in the R.A.F. and was popular with his officers, fellow N.C.O.s and men. His Group Captain has sent Mrs. Evans the following letter:- "It is with the deepest regret that I write to you on behalf of my officers, N.C.O.s and men, to sympathise with you in the loss of your son. He was doing very well and would, I feel sure, have distinguished himself when he had passed out of his Training Unit and joined the Operational Section. He will be greatly missed by his brother pilots, but you have the satisfaction of knowing that he died on active service, and I, for one, could not wish for a finer end."
    Sergeant pilot Evans, like his father, has made the supreme sacrifice in fighting for the freedom of his country and Empire, while Mrs. Evans, having lost her husband and son on active service, has been called upon to bear a double cross and a heavy burden which she knows will not be in vain. Her many friends in Cockburnspath district and at Duns, Luton, London, and other places where she is known (and when the tragic news reaches them) will join in expressing their deepest sympathy to Mrs Evans in her irreparable loss.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello,

Father of Andrew Harold Sargent EVANS:

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=92804

NB. The second name of Evans' wife was Helen, not Ellen, as on the ADFA form. He made a mistake on his attestation form and they have repeated it (it was corrected later)!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th March 2017 at 16:24.

Thanks

Thanks guys, when complete will pot our full report on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Welting View Post
    LAC I.S. Forbes - 655051 was a Pilot (u/t)

LAC (Pilot u/t) L.B.S. Falkiner - 1384158 and LAC P. Cockburn - 1382945, both 15 FTS, were killed when their Oxford V3906 hit HT cables; crashed Laural Farm near Bicester, 1145h.
    Just found out that, sadly, Henk died recently... so I'm wondering what will have happened to all his meticulous notes??

I'm left wondering where did Henk get this info on LBS Falkiner from? My father (John Alexander Falkiner, RAAF - crashed Catterton 22Sept'42, buried Wootton) was Leigh's cousin but while I have a complete account of the details of the Catterton crash I've not so far been able to find anything on Leigh's crash details - until now, in this Forum... Is there anyone out there that can give me the source? Thanks, Jeanne (nee Falkiner)
    Last edited by Nereida0; 13th March 2018 at 07:18. Reason: Sadly, Henk no longer alive....so unable to reply

Thanks

Jeanne I am afraid Henk died a few years ago

Someone else may be and to provide a primary source maybe the Unit records

Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Jeanne I am afraid Henk died a few years ago

Someone else may be and to provide a primary source maybe the Unit records

Paul
    Thanks, Paul
    Can you please clarify "...
    maybe the Unit records" ...? Where would I need to go to find these?