Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is this Gentry?

Thanks

Default Who is this Gentry?

During May 1943 I have a Captain Gentry test flying lend lease Coronado JX470 at RAF Helensburgh. The aircraft porpoised and was badly damaged. Do any members know anything about this gent? Was he an American? robin bird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robin bird View Post
    During May 1943 I have a Captain Gentry test flying lend lease Coronado JX470 at RAF Helensburgh. The aircraft porpoised and was badly damaged. Do any members know anything about this gent? Was he an American? robin bird
    By Googling I found an entry in Wikipedia to a US Navy pilot, Jack T. Gentry 1923-2006 but he was discharged with the rank of 1st Lt, so I don't think he's your man.

Keith

Thanks

Hello,

I think your man is Dana L. Gentry. Gentry (an American), co-piloted one of the seven Hudsons from Gander to Aldergrove (led by Don Bennett), in November 1940. He was later awarded an OBE. See: Carl Christie's, "Ocean Bridge" (pp.52, 54 & 217), for more detail.

Useful listings, here: http://rafferrycommand.com/ferry-command-pilot-aircrew

and here... http://rafferrycommand.com/south-atl...fari-fc-crews/

and photo: http://rafferrycommand.com/raffc-photo-gallery/

Others might have more.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th October 2016 at 23:37.

Thanks

thank you for the feed back. Dana will be the gent, he probably took the first Coronado to RAF Helensburgh to show the MAEE test pilots the controls before leaving. I only have Gentry logged doing a couple of flights.

Thanks

June 4, 1979
    Florida Today Cocoa Florida
    Page 3B

DANA GENTRY Services for Dana L. Gentry, 71, of 805 Crestview Road, Cocoa, are scheduled Jor 10 a.m. today at Wylle - Baxley Funeral Home, - Rockledge. A retired airline pilot and resident of Brevard for several years, Mr. Gentry died Friday at Wuesthoff Memorial Hospital. Survivors Include a son, Richard Gentry of Grandale, 'Ariz., and a stepson, J, Van Wierts of Montreal. :

Thanks

thank you again. I am fortunate to have flying logs details of test pilots at RAF Helensburgh for 1943/44 and part of 45. Gent flew Coronado JX470 on the afternoon of May 10 and the morning of May 11 conducting 'local flights.' I now know he was a ferry pilot. It is fascinating following up the names of these MAEE pilots but the careers, of a few, still escape me. i.e. Flying Officer Callender who flew Sunderland T9042 on the morning of May 32, 1943. On June 27, 1943, I have dad (Bird) the photographer for MAD trials, the pilot Sismey, the Australian cricketer. I will put all these flights into one story at the end of my research. robin bird

Thanks

Hello,

A little on AUS403605 P/O (later S/L) Stanley George SISMEY RAAF:

Monday 18 May, 1942.

At 0920 that morning (the 18th), A Catalina flyingboat - AJ158/F of 202 Squadron from Gibraltar, flown by (41547) Flt Lt A J BRADLEY (CAN/RAF, later DFC, MiD) - was heading eastwards to the west of Algiers, when a pair of Vichy French D520s of GC II/3 approached. The Canadian pilot, on spotting the rapidly closing fighters, took his craft down to sea level. The Vichy pilots, however, obviously considered the flyingboat to be within French territorial airspace, whereupon Adjt Jeannaud and Sgt Andre attacked; one cannon shell exploded in the cockpit, badly wounding Bradley in the stomach, while the second pilot (Plt Off S G SISMEY) was wounded in the neck. The radio operator immediately sent a signal calling for assistance while Bradley, despite his wounds, successed in ditching the crippled craft on the sea about ten miles off Oran...

See:
    Malta:The Spitfire Year 1942.
    Shores,Christopher, Cull, Brian & Nicola Malizia.
    London:Grub Street,1991.
    p.282.

The crew of Catalina AJ158 were eventually picked up by the destroyer."Isis", which then sank the damaged and abandoned aircraft by gunfire.

Nice shot of Stan Sismey, here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/SUK14414 (England won the toss, the Aussies won by six wickets).

Stan "The Stoic" Sismey, later returned to flying duties until shortly before Victory in Europe, then transferred to the RAAF's London headquarters and was instrumental in organizing the Service's team.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th October 2016 at 17:36.

Thanks

They were an intrepid lot of pilots at RAF Helensburgh, some having previously been shot down, or escaped pow camps. Others, i.e. S N Webster were Schneider Trophy pilots, he won in 1927 and was commanding officer Helensburgh 43/44. RAF Commands has been helpful in my research and it is appreciated. I have found that in tracing a name you don't know where you will end up. Likewise with some of the boffins of MAEE including Principal Technical Officer H Garner, later Sir Harry. At Felixstowe he, too, was involved in the Schneider Trophy making the Supermarines go faster.

Thanks

See how this fits with the date of the JX470 accident

On May 14th 1943, Dana Gentry is logged arriving in La Guardia on C-54 120140 from Prestwick.

Aircraft would be 41-20140
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 9th October 2016 at 20:00.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Gentry last flew JX470 at 4.35 on May 10. I have no record of him again at Helensburgh. JX 470 was badly damaged around the same time but not sure, off hand, if Gentry was at the controls, or a MAEE pilot not used to the aircraft. Makes sense that Gentry flew from Preswick as MAEE had a base there. Gentry probably was one of the ferry pilots bringing Coronados to the UK but I have a note that Wing Commander E.R. Ware took JX470 to Helensburgh but from where I cannot determine. Beaumaris?
    robin
    Last edited by robin bird; 9th October 2016 at 20:48.