Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sqn Ldr V H Reynolds DFC

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr V H Reynolds DFC

Anybody have anything about this officer ?

At one time he was the sqn commander on F sqn - Glider Pilot Regiment

F Squadron - Commander : Squadron Leader V. H. Reynolds
    I could not find any citation or gazette entry for his DFC and wondered what his background/career was like !

Thanks

bvs, Hi,
    I've had a quick poke around the net but have not managed to find yr Sdn Ldr V H Reynolds. Are we sure of the Surname spelling, and the Initials (there are one or two who might(??) be him)? Have we got typo(s)?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th May 2015 at 11:58. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter
    Spelling correct as far as I know - the two excerpts I 'quoted' above came from an Airborne Forces website and an online book.
    However I cannot be 100% certain.

rgds baz

Thanks

This is from the Assault Glider Trust website,appears to confirm the surname spelling !
    Also looking through the Airborne archives - it does not appear that he was awarded the DFC for his glider exploits,but cannot be 100% sure of that either !

rgds baz

The RAF glider pilots displayed great gallantry. For example, Squadron Leader Reynolds was flying a Horsa with Flying Officer Bayley as his co-pilot. On his approach to his landing target, Reynolds saw a German four gun light flak battery shooting at other gliders. He ordered Bayley to take control of the Horsa while he engaged the Germans with a-sub-machine gun, firing through his cockpit canopy. He killed or wounded all of the Germans in the flak position and took them prisoner when Bayley landed the Horsa on them.

Reynolds then came under fire from another nearby four-gun flak battery and he ordered Bayley to attack it with a PIAT, an elementary anti tank weapon with an effective range of about 50 yards. Bayley crawled off and scored a direct hit killing all of the Germans in the position. Any Army Regiment would be proud to have members like these and the Glider Pilot Regiment Association still has surviving RAF pilots in its membership.

Thanks

From Pegasusarchive.org
    1015 - Gliders commenced landing on Landing Zones 'O' and 'U'. Visibility bad with moderate to concentrated anti aircraft fire. Many A/C crashed on landing, or were destroyed by fire, resulting in 44 casualties to the Sqn. Opposition was moderate, and all positions were captured and held in three hours with substantial numbers of prisoners. The Sqn made its way in crews to the rendezvous where it commenced to dig in under S/Ldr Reynolds. Some crews remained with 'E' Sqn under Major Jackson. The remainder of the day was quiet but for sniping. Fuller details are contained in the de-briefing summaries prepared by F/O Marsh of K Sqn now at Broadwell.

Thanks

Baz, Hi,
    Have you tried a PM to Hugh Halliday? He might have more info on yr man's DFC?
    The is also a "C H Reynolds" (62393). 'C H' might have been mistaken for 'V H' over the phone? But this man was a S Rhodesian and was Cmd into the Admin & Spec Duties Branch - but there have been stranger career paths than that!!
    Facebook appears to have a very flourishing Closed Group on the Glider Pilot Regiment. Might be worth poking a sharp stick into that!
    Best I can do re-visiting this one!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Apologies if I have missed something, bvs, but which operation are we supposed to be looking at - date/time/location? Was it really F Squadron - I'm thinking of RAF squadrons being numbered - or was this the Army following cavalry traditions.

Your quote in #4 seems inconsistent with the version quoted in your #1 reference.

Brian

Thanks

Something reminds me that we have been around this particular buoy before.

I don't think Reynolds received the DFC, although several other GPR sqn cdrs did and so did several RAF pilots taking part in Op VARSITY.

I have rechecked 'Honour to the Airborne' and also Maton, as well as a couple of other books dealing with the GPR.

I think this is just one of the rumours which has gained credence over the years - a bit like Ludovic Kennedy's father - who was captain of Rawlpindi and said to have been awarded a VC, which he was not.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    Agree - you may well be right! But just who was this bloke? He is resisting coming out of several woodworks! If he was a Squabbling Bleeder then he should - one would think - appear in the LG? Now I can't find him, but that may be due (a) to my inefficiency, (b) my age!, and (c) QRT! I am quite prepared to own up to all of those those - but it still gets us no further forward to finding out just who this Officer was! He clearly existed. He needs to be nailed - with, or without, rank and gongs!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th January 2016 at 17:01.

Thanks

Just a thought about the Assault Glider Trust version of events. It notes that 1500 RAF pilots were drafted in for the operation; since the same site quotes only 406 gliders being used, this equates to 3.5 pilots per glider. This seems rather a lot given a glider was crewed by just two pilots.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 18th January 2016 at 20:46.