Thread: Ofw. Walter Siewert. Probably NJG-2, Middle East, August 1942

Thanks

Default Ofw. Walter Siewert. Probably NJG-2, Middle East, August 1942

Hello All
    I am seeking any biographical or other information re Ofw. Walter Siewert. The only information that I have is from the Tom Kracker database (Aircrew Remembered) as follows
    Ofw. Walter Siewert had 1 victory, a Blenheim on 1 August 1942 in the Fuka area (Jäger Blatt 1/2001)

Tom Kracker also tells me that on examining the OKL Claims List he can find no reference to a Blenheim being downed on 1 August. He did discover though, that NJG-1 & 2 were active that night and that NJG-1 flew the Bf 110 and NJG-2 flew the Ju 88 exclusively. He would therefore place Siewert in NJG-2.

I believe that the Blenheim shot down was probably Z9614 of 14 Squadron, captained by P/O. Alan Eason Ellis who stated that he was shot down by a Ju88 and crashed 40 miles SE of Fuka, Egypt.

Anything about Walter Siewert will be much appreciated

Regards
    Roy Wilcock (Aircrew Remembered)

Thanks

Hello,

Your, P/O Alan Eason ELLIS, is actually, AUS406474 Sgt (later F/Lt) (Pilot) Alan Eason ELLIS RAAF.

Fw Siewert, of I./NJG 2, did make a claim on 31-7-1942 - for a "Boston"*. The claim appears to have been rejected, it does not appear in the OKL records, nor in Chris Shores' (et al), A History of the Mediterranean Air War Vol.2 (pp.575-6). The 14 Sqn Loss, Blenheim IV Z9614, is also mentioned in RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean Vol.1 (pp.168-9. Also worth a look at, is: Winged Crusaders:The Exploits of 14 Squadron RFC & RAF 1915-1945, Michael Napier pp.240 & 245(fns.).

* See:
    Ferne Nachtjagd:Aufzeichnungen aus den Jahren 1940-1945. (Long-Range Nightfighter - History of I./NJG 2)
    Moehlenbeck,Otto & Manfred Leihse.
    Stuttgart:Motorbuch,1978.
    p.220 (unpaginated).

See also: http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...aspx?B=1067626

(I suspect you have already seen this!).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th October 2016 at 16:06.

Thanks

Many thanks for your reply Col
    As you suspect I have seen Alan Ellis' record and also the RAAF Accident Report file in the NAA. I have also seen Gunby and Temple but thanks for the other pointers.

Roy