Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for information w/c peter wood DFC.

Thanks

Default looking for information w/c peter wood DFC.

A odd request, I am looking for information on a Wing Commander Peter Wood DFC, I have his wife's log book, which dates from 1942/43, she was aircrew with the wren's, and left us in 2016 aged 99, I think Peter Wood died in 2001 ?, has anybody got information ? or any air force list they could look up his name, or on other web sites ? .

http://www.family-announcements.co.u...w/4100319/wood

I am the son of a ww2 raf ground crew, and my dad did not talk about his wartime he spent in Malta, so I collect military items and try a find out about its history

thanking you in advance
    Last edited by coffmanb17; 15th October 2016 at 16:05. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

coffmanb17, Hi,
    This is probably your man:-

Peter David John Wood. b. Q3 1922 (MMS Oliver, Reg Romford 4a 955)
    Enlisted 1381966 Euston or Penarth Aug 1940-Mar 1941.
    Commissioned Plt Off 23 Apr 1942 (123622) RAFVR(GD)
    DFC 23 Jul 43
    Flying Officer Peter David John WOOD (123622), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 605 Squadron. Flying Officer Wood is a navigator of high merit. He has participated in many sorties and has contributed to the destruction of 3 enemy sircraft. Flying Officer Wood has rendered valuable service.
    m. Ruth C Winnifrith Q3 1945 (Reg Hereford 6a 1641) [prob 4 progeny]
    Promoted Subs Wg Cdr 1 Jan 1958 (his intermediate Promotions in the LG - search 123622)
    Retired (own request) 30 Mar 1968

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

Just to muddy the waters a little, the Birmingham Daily Gazette of July 23rd 1943 has an article reporting several R.A.F. awards, which includes the following:

Flying Officer Peter David Wood, of the City of Warwick Squadron, has contributed to the destruction of three enemy aircraft. He was born in Sydney, Australia.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that the last bit may be a bit of mis-reporting, of course!

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 18th October 2016 at 10:34.

Thanks

Simon, tks yrs.
    Looks like the paper was reporting the same DFC! But only used two of his three Forenames (saving rationed newsprint? LOL!). COL will, no doubt, be along shortly to pronounce upon the Oz angle/muddy-waters.
    But this sort of research would lose some of its charm if everything always came out right every/first time!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello,

Afraid I can't help on the OZ angle!

Claims:

605 Squadron

15/16 April 1943 -Mosquito DZ715 - 2 Ju 87s - Avord.
    117511 F/O Rae Richard SMART DFC
    123622 F/O Peter David John WOOD

11/12 June 1943 - U/I E/A - Gilze-Rijen.
    122252 F/O Arthur George WOODS
    123622 F/O Peter David John WOOD - P D J Wood's involvement needs verification.

W/C. P. D J. Wood DFC, was OC RAF Tangmere 1/2/65 to 3/8/67.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th October 2016 at 13:22.

Thanks

Col, Tks that!
    I was somewhat bemused with the original Poster's description of Wg Cdr Wood's wife as being "aircrew with the wren's". Most regulars on this Forum will be aware of my antipathy towards Her Gracious Majesty's uniformed seafaring persons - but female FAA aircrew was new to me (unless there was some sort of nursing/medical evacuation involved?)!!!
    You learn something new every day!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

A bit of un-muddying, if I may...apologies for the confusion. Not my fault, honest!

From the Birmingham Mail, July 22nd 1943:

"...Flying Officer G. F. Wood, R.A.A.F., of Sydney, receives the D.F.C., and Flight Sergeant Roy Niven, of Birmingham, the D.F.M. They shot down two of four planes which attacked them and drove off the other two."

Back to the Birmingham Daily Gazette's article, they also reported Niven's D.F.M., but stated "Flight Sgt Niven, a beam gunner, gets the D.F.M. for the part he played when on anti-submarine patrol in the Bay of Biscay."

The LG of July 23, 1943, p.3326 has the citation for the D.F.C. awarded to 111567 F/O Robert Thomas Merrifield and F/O Gordon Francis Wood (Aus. 402980) and the D.F.M. for 755147 Sgt Roy Niven, all of 53 Squadron. On the same page is the citation for 123622 P/O Peter David John Wood of 605 Sqn.

Seems there may have been some proper 'send three and fourpence we're going to a dance' going on in the Brum press offices...!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    I like it!!!!
    Makes one realise that one was not the only person in the world, who at the end of a long, long, night-shift, had sent the wrong signals to the wrong addressees - in spite of the Cpl in the Comcen saying "Do you really want this to go to ALL these addressees?".
    Makes me feel better - even after more than 30 yrs!!
    Good 'ere 'innit??
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default peter wood reply's

thank you gentlemen for your reply's could there be more ?, a couple of favours if I may ask, I found a lighter engraved to a RAF man , called A.H.Waring, service number 1118182, also with RAF wings, its a ronson lighter made in the USA. this one might be a hard nut to crack ? also a camera with RCAF service number on with the name crossed out, I found out the first owner died, the new owner just engraved his service number, could he be traced with just his number ? from records from Canada ? the number is R104670. ..thank you again . great forum spent a few hours reading threads. ps how to add a photo ? please. I am old school.

Thanks