Thread: background to loss - 08-02-1945

Thanks

Default background to loss - 08-02-1945

Hi guys.
    I have just found this thread, whilst trying to research one of the people named in it. (MOD NOTE: ORIGINALLY POSTED IN UNACCOUNTED AIRMEN)

Sgt. George Banks from Manchester was my Fathers' half-brother. My Father had always been led to believe that he died in a Lancaster accident (although the part about the aircraft still missing was told correctly) while he was training in Canada. Having recently (last few weeks) gotten hold of his service record (Form 543A), this was obviously not the case - and on 21-10-44 he was returned to the UK and went to 7PRC.

From there, he went to 24EFTS on 15/12/44 and, was marked as back to 7PRC on 28-12-44. On the same day, he was again listed as moved to 1(O)AFU.

He was listed as missing on 08-02-45.

Below this on his record, is the statement "CCL1000(103) Death presumed". (The writing is not 100% clear, and the "103" MAY be "105"?).

I note from the thread here, that he was aboard (presumed?) an Anson at the time of his death - W2637.

As his service record gives no further detail regarding the incident or location of the incident, can anyone suggest which direction we may take to find out more?

Regards,
    Lee.

(Welcome to the forum Lee, I think your post will get more exposure here.
    Regards, Bruce Dennis)
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 16th October 2016 at 11:40.
    ==========================
    To the world you're just a person,
    To a rescued dog - you're the world.
    ==========================

Thanks

The original thread you found states that Anson W2637 was from No1 (O)AFU. That would be No1 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit. This spent its entire existence based at RAF Wigtown in south west Scotland so I would strongly suspect this is the airfield the aircraft took off from on its last flight and that it was probably lost over the Irish sea.

Hope this may be of some help.

J

Thanks

The ORB for No.1 (O)AFU does not record very much, there was an Anson lost but the only detail given is as follows, February 8th 1945, Station Sick Quarters, “An Anson aircraft did not return from its detail. There was no standby since and it was presumed lost at sea.”

No.281 Sqn at Great Orton provided a Warwick for an ASR search off the east coast of Ireland but nothing was seen.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

From Volume one of my trilogy For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 :

Thu 8 Feb 1945
    FLYING TRAINING COMMAND
    Navigation exercise
    1 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit, RAF (Wigtown, Wigtownshire - 29 Group)
    Anson I W2637 - took off at 0200 but landed back at base 35 minutes later with an unserviceable navigation light. Left again at 0345 and was last heard from at 0519 over the Irish Sea at position 5345N:0548W, about 42 miles south of Ballyquintin Point, County Down. Lost without trace, the five crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Pilot: NZ427282 Plt Off Arthur Percy HOARE, RNZAF - Age 27. 471hrs (168 solo on Anson)

The other crew members were 916689 Flt Sgt Molloy, 1686034 Sgt Banks, 1606451 Sgt Harris and 1815777 Sgt Donald Arthur Jordan.

Send me your email via a PM if you would like a copy of a couple of documents I have from Hoare's service record.

Errol