Thread: Forms 1180 Accident Card Detail

Thanks

Default Forms 1180 Accident Card Detail

Accident forms 1180 can sometimes reveal interesting comments. I have one where the Blame & Action box reveals that a Pilot and Flight Engineer were both mentioned in the card detail as being highly commended for remaining in the aircraft after the other crew escaped by parachute. Both Pilot and Flight Engineer died in an ensuing crash.

Sadly it appears no recommendation prevailed from these comments. Who would have read these documents and why do you think nothing was progressed to recognise the comments/commendation.

Thanks

Hello Colin

The early WW2 Accident Cards at least, appear to have formed part of the Air Ministry S.4 Statistical Branch documentation, from which they compiled the Monthly (and other periodical) Statistical Flying Accident Reports.

I say this, as I have two early WW 2 A.M. 1180 copies and it has written on them No Signal in S.4, or not reported to S.4 and apart from a date and aircraft type and serial number, they have little, or no information about the accident on the Card, as though they (S.4) were missed out.

I've got a photo of a WW2 coloured line diagram as to the usual circulation of 765c & C of I etc.
    Managed to find it & I've got a question myself which I've posted here ...
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...s-Diagram-Date

I have seen newspaper comments about the brave actions of civilians, despite aircraft being on fire making rescue attempts and pilots who were considered heros for steering aircraft away from houses, who were never recognised.

Regarding Awards, I feel, they felt that heroic actions were considered as part of the risks of a Serviceman's duty and very regular brave occurrences went unrecognised.

The Captain, with Crew, including my Grandfather were flying in an aircraft on fire, but managed to turn away from occupied houses, striking an RAF balloon cable and crash land, but aircraft burnt out, only two were found. "returning from a most important mission" in the letter to family.

The usual Service Medals issued for their Service have to suffice, I suppose.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 18th October 2016 at 07:54.

Thanks

Mark. Thank you for adding to the information on this subject, the flow chart revealed that the comments I mention had the possibility of recognition but amongst the work load will have simply been lost.