Thread: Who flew more missions to Berlin (Bomber Command)?

Thanks

Default Who flew more missions to Berlin (Bomber Command)?

Good night to all,

While re-reading ann old book about the Mosquito, I found the following entry: “Broom, son of a Priest had done so many flights over Berlin, that it was said that he was able to put a bomb over a stamp!”. (Quoted in “Mosquito” by Edward Bishop, Ballantine Books, page 159).

I wondered if someone can inform me:
    a) Which RAF pilot (Bomber Command) flew the greatest sorties to the Big City (Berlin)? (From the citation above, Ivor Broom seems one of the candidates, although I do not have the official number of sorties he carried out to Berlin on Mosquitos with 571, 128 and later 163 Squadrons.

I know that Pathfinder Cranswick flew the greatest number of missions, but most of them were not to Berlin, therefore some LNSF pilot may be the pilot with the greatest number of visits to Berlin. This figure is what I am wondering to discover.

Adriano

Thanks

Hi Adriano,

The best I know of was Bob Sexton RAAF who did 16 trips to Berlin, 3 with 101 Sqn and 13 with 7 Sqn PFF. In fact Martin Middlebrook in his book 'The Berlin Raids' states Senor Adalbert Fastlich of Panama gave money to purchase two gold watches for the crew that completed the most operations on Berlin. Bob and his crew were found to have completed the most. Bob received one watch and the rest drew lots for the other, the Flight Engineer Sgt Tommy Marchant was the lucky crewman. This is confirmed by Bob's family.

If you would like a photo of Bob please contact me off board on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom and I'll pass on some photos.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello John

"Your" man, Bob Sexton (RAAF) seems to have been one of the 4-engined RAF pilots who can be ranked as one of those who flew the greatest number of missions to Berlin.

So far, I do have S/L R. G. St. Clere Wadsworth, D.S.O., D.F.C. from 692 Squadron (LNSF) with 19 trips to Berlin, but on Mosquitoes....quite different story...From what I have found, he is one of those who flew the greatest number of missions to Berlin.

Sir Ivor Broom (then a F/L flying with 571 Squadron) flew 58 Mosquito missions, of those 33 were with 571 Squadron (which I do have the relevant ORB). From those 33 missions, 12 were to Berlin, from June to the end of August 1944. I wonder if someone who may have 128 Squadron and 163 Squadron's ORB(s) can help me with information on the missions he flew with those Squadrons (the later he commanded) to Berlin, so we could have a definite number of his missions to Berlin. I do guess, he is a strong candidate to be ranked as the top RAF flyer to Berlin (on Mosquitoes).

I do have other airmen with 15, 14, 13 missions to Berlin, on Mosquitoes and one that flew 14 Mosquitoes and 2 Lancaster missions to Berlin....

Will contact you on the e-mail you sent me. Thank you for sharing the information on Bob Sexton, an airman I did not know.

Humbly yours,
    Adriano

Thanks

Hello all,

While re-reading some material I found that Navigator Ken Tempest flew 20 missions to Berlin and that another 608 Squadron airman flew, until March 1945 20 missions. This airman ended his tour probably in April, so he may have flown more missions. Sadly I do not have the 608 Squadron ORB for April to check...

Any more names of airmen that have flown more than 20 missions to Berlin?

Adriano