Thread: 148116 James Bowman D.F.C.* - citation/date/unit for his second D.F.C.?

Thanks

Default 148116 James Bowman D.F.C.* - citation/date/unit for his second D.F.C.?

Hello everyone

I'm trying to find details for the award of the second D.F.C. to James Bowman, 148116. His first was awarded when he was with 102 Sqn, gazetted October 22nd 1943, for his action when ditching Halifax II W7820 in the North Sea. He and his crew were rescued by an airborne lifeboat - the first time one had been used in a rescue, I beleive.

I'm struggling to find his second D.F.C. - the London Gazette website isn't giving up its secrets easily! I'm thinking it was possibly mid to late 1945, after he had been serving on P.F.F. Mosquitos.

Many thanks,

Simon

Thanks

If I may, can I just give this a gentle bump.

I've tried finding the second D.F.C. in the newspapers archive on findmypast.co.uk to no avail, so if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

I can't see any indication of a bar on the ribbon of James Bowman's DFC!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...mes_Bowman_DFC

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th October 2016 at 13:21.

Thanks

Interesting Col, thank you.

The article itself mentions that he won it twice, and it was mentioned in this article from the same paper too:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...omber_captain/

but as the photos in both articles show, there's no Bar on the ribbon. I think the Bournemouth Echo may have made an error, and then repeated it, maybe?

Regards

Simon

EDIT - the Sunderland Echo of October 22nd 1943 reported his D.F.C.:

Durham D.F.C.
    A Sherburn man, whose home is now at Neville’s Cross, Durham, Pilot Officer James Bowman, R.A.F.V.R., of 102 Squadron, has been awarded the D.F.C.
    The citation says that Pilot Officer Bowman has completed a large number of sorties, many of them in the Middle East campaigns, with skill and determination. On several occasions his aircraft has suffered damage but each time – except on one occasion when he was forced to come down in the sea – he had flown his bomber back to base. He gets the award for great courage and devotion to duty.
    Aged 21, Pilot Officer Bowman served in the ranks before being commissioned this year.

Thanks

Default Pilot officer james bowman

Simon
    PO Bowman was the pilot with my uncle at 102 Sqn when they went into the sea and rescued by airborne lifeboat.He was sgt Haroll mock later killed in a halifax crash after many missions into his second tour.
    ARe you a relative of PO bowman ?

Regards

Tim Mock
    Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Interesting Col, thank you.

The article itself mentions that he won it twice, and it was mentioned in this article from the same paper too:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...omber_captain/

but as the photos in both articles show, there's no Bar on the ribbon. I think the Bournemouth Echo may have made an error, and then repeated it, maybe?

Regards

Simon

EDIT - the Sunderland Echo of October 22nd 1943 reported his D.F.C.:

Durham D.F.C.
    A Sherburn man, whose home is now at Neville’s Cross, Durham, Pilot Officer James Bowman, R.A.F.V.R., of 102 Squadron, has been awarded the D.F.C.
    The citation says that Pilot Officer Bowman has completed a large number of sorties, many of them in the Middle East campaigns, with skill and determination. On several occasions his aircraft has suffered damage but each time – except on one occasion when he was forced to come down in the sea – he had flown his bomber back to base. He gets the award for great courage and devotion to duty.
    Aged 21, Pilot Officer Bowman served in the ranks before being commissioned this year.

Thanks

Hello Tim

Thanks for posting the information. No, I'm no relation. He's one of the local airmen from the North East I've been researching for the last few years.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 18th November 2016 at 19:14. Reason: typo

Thanks

Also there is no France and Germany Bar on his Aircrew Europe Star which he would have been entitled to if he had flown any operations over Europe after June 6 1944.