Thread: raf.mod.uk/bombercommand site, error?

Thanks

Default raf.mod.uk/bombercommand site, error?

I have found what I believe is an error on the Diary part of the above site, namely the location of the attack for that night, namely about 350 miles out, and in the wrong country.
    I have tried to find a 'home' / 'contact us' on the site but without success.
    Has this site closed down? Is it possible to report an alleged error?
    Stewart

Thanks

Default which night

Tell us the night you are concerned with please mate

Peter

Thanks

The actual Bomber Command Diaries are now officially closed, and the front page has the following message (which has been up for almost a year)

"Bomber Command Campaign Diary - Unfortunately the RAF Bomber Command Diaries have been removed at this time, sorry for any inconveniences. "

However, as you and I know, if one enters the portal via google, the diary pages are still available. But I contacting them to alert them about an error may make them aware of this access and they could shut the whole thing down.

A

Thanks

Peter
    I have been researching one of our village casualties, Sgt. Harold DEWHURST, 1094980, 75 Squadron, who was killed 11/12 May, 1944, on a raid to LOUVAIN, near RENNES (France), as recorded in The Diary. Research (Bill Choley & others) reveals that the aircraft Lancaster III ND 919 AA-D crashed near Aardenburg, Holland, (Zeeland coast), and the crew are buried locally. Now there is no way that the track in or out to Rennes, France, from Mepal, Cambs., could have brought them anywhere near Aardenburg, it is 350 miles away.
    Checking the map for Belgium however reveals Leuven (alternative spelling Louvain) 30Km east of Brussels with an extensive rail network, which was the reported target on the ORB, however spelled there as LOUVAIN. If the Diary had not mentioned RENNES, there wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but it does.
    Amrit
    I suppose it is a case of letting sleeping dogs lie...
    Stewart

Thanks

Target were railway yards at Leuven (Louvain), Belgium. Aircraft exploded in the air and wreckage came down near caste "De Elderschans", 2 km NW of Aardenburg, 0055h. Perhaps NAA may have more info checking for 419311 Hewett.

Thanks

Thanks Henk. Hope you're keeping well.
    Stewart

Thanks

Just to resurrect this topic. My cousin F/L Derek Warren was the pilot of Lancaster ND919.

I have visited the cemetery and must say that it is very well maintained and respected by the Dutch people.

If anyone has more information I would be very grateful.

Thanks

All that I have is on our village web-site
    longtononline.co.uk
    Click on HISTORY on left side,
    Click on Memorial WW2
    Scroll down to Dewhurst and click on.
    Interested in any new information.
    Stewart