Thread: AIR 37/784: ACM Leigh-Mallory Diary of Events

Thanks

Default AIR 37/784: ACM Leigh-Mallory Diary of Events

Probably a long shot but has anyone accessed AIR 37/784: Air Chief Marshall Leigh-Mallory's diary of events in 1944? I have an interest in the entries for 2-5 June.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,
    Have a very great care about Leigh-Mallory’s writings on any subject.
    He belonged to that group of Senior Officers that Churchill had decided were either Failed, Disruptive, or a Political Threat (Mountbatten, Browning, Leigh-Mallory, etc, etc). He shunted them all off to India (Churchill was no great proponent of the ‘brown races’.). Now I do not know if Churchill was right – but he does (from my point of view, and history) seem to have got it about right!
    All I’m saying is that Leigh-Mallory was a ‘political military leader’ – you only have to look at his performances in Fighter Command where, in my opinion, he politically undermined Dowding and Park. They were both better than he tactically!
    Very difficult problem! Just tread a bit carefully - and look at any utterances through the other end of the telescope!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

It's not a book written after the event, Peter, but, as I understand it, a diary written at the time. I'm simply interested to see where he was during the days and what record, if any, he made of the overnight briefings at Southwick.

Brian

Thanks

Perhaps I should have added that my request was partly prompted by Ken Delve's D-day: The Air Battle, first published in 1994, which includes quotes from Leigh-Mallory's diary. However, for all the excellent text, photos and images the book contains no references whatsoever - which is not a great deal of help to anyone wishing to follow a particular element of the story.

Brian