Thread: ACCS Scampton

Thanks

Default ACCS Scampton

I have a copy of the log book for a Bomber Command flight engineer. One of his postings was to ACCS Scamptom for just a few weeks in June 1944 just before moving to 1661 HCU. I cannot find out what ACCS stands for. Please can someone help and tell me what it means? Many thank in anticipation of your help.

Thanks

Default ACCS Scampton

This is essentially a re-posting of my last question. I realise the title I used may not attract enough attention so I have provided more information in the title on this occasion.
    I have a copy of a logbook for a flight engineer from Bomber Command. It refers to his posting to ACCS Scampton for a few weeks in March 1944 before moving to 1661 HCU. I cannot find out what ACCS means. Please can anyone explain the abbreviation and provide information about what type of posting this would have been. As it was only for a few weeks I imagine it was a holding place between School of Technical Training (where he was immediately before going to ACCS) and the HCU, but ACCS must stand for something. Thanks again in anticipation of your help.

Thanks

I believe this was the Air Crew Combat School, where airmen were taught survival skills for use in the event of coming down in enemy territory.

More information at: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ampton&f=false

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 22nd October 2016 at 12:29.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

ACCS might be the forerunner of the various Escape & Evasion/Resistance-To-Interrogation Schools/Units?
    However, Sturtivant (FT&SU Since 1912, 2007 Edtn) makes no mention under those initials.
    Malcolm's RAFWEB mentions No 1690 Bomber (Defence) Training Flt (13 Jul - 27 Sep 1944) and No 1687 Bomber (Defence) Training Flt (4 Dec 1944 - 2 Apr 1945) as being at Scampton - but these were probably aviation orientated.
    Having taken part as part-observer/part-student in a V-bomber crew E&E and RTI exercise on the N Yorks Moors in winter I can assure you that the very next time I'm invited to go on one, I shall find extremely pressing business elsewhere!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The information that I have suggests that the schools were initially set up for "holding purposes" in November 1943 due to the fact that there were insufficient places at HCU to accommodate the crews leaving OTU. The schools, which were known as Aircrew Schools or Battle Schools, were not formally recognised as independent units by the Air Ministry.

The 2 week Battle Training course, which formed part of the curriculum during the six to ten week "hold", was subsequently deemed to be of training value and all crews were encouraged to go through that particular course between OTU and HCU.

The course, under RAF Regiment supervision, included lectures and training on dinghy drill and escape / evasion procedures.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete T. Your replies were very helpful and surely explain what ACCS means. The flight engineer was posted to the ACCS for about the same duration of the combat course you refer to and about the same number of days as was the subject in the reference you supplied. Also, I have seen mention of the presence of the RAF Regiment at Scampton. Mystery solved! Thanks very much.

Thanks

Resmoroh, thank you for your input. As per Pete T's reply, this abbreviation must refer to a combat school. Sounds like participation in such courses was no picnic!