Thread: Navigational tool?

Thanks

Default Navigational tool?

Afternoon folks,

A friend of mine in Oz sent me the following:

I've just come across what I believe could be an aviation/navigation/chart compass of sorts made by the Ontario Hughes Owens Co. Ltd, Ottawa, Canada Type W.D. 32 No. W1380. I can't find anything on the net about this. It is painted dark grey, has glass top and bottom
    (presumably for light access-the compass card is suspended in the middle),liquid filled, solid brass, but with its own form of concertina/shock absorber near the bottom. It has its own light grey wooden carry case with the words "Delicate Instrument Handle With Care".

Does anybody know what this is?

TIA,

Dave

Thanks

Canadian engineers of my generation immediately recognize the Hughes Owens name as a Canadian manufacturer and importer of slide rules, and assorted drafting and surveying equipment. The brand named disappeared in the 1980s, following several mergers and buy-outs. There is an archive page of sorts, http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ho/hoarc1.html , but it only covers slide rules.

A quick look at eBay shows a removed listing for a Hughes Owens W.D.32 boxed military compass, WWII. There area few other H-O items listed, like a drafting table and several slide rules.