Thread: Blenheim Mk.IV(R3843 "F-Freddy"),shot down 21 September 1941

Thanks

Default Blenheim Mk.IV(R3843 "F-Freddy"),shot down 21 September 1941

I am currently looking into Walter Meadows, old boy of Ashton Grammar School who joined the RAF in May 1940, Walter was trained as a navigator in Canada after which he joined 18 Squadron and, as Sargeant Observer, Service No.924395, he took part in 17 Blenheim raids over Europe, his first operation being a daylight raid on Cologne.

It appears that on this Blenheim, he dropped Douglas Baders spare leg over St..Omer.

I have, however, found reference to a conflicting report as to the mission on which the plane was lost.

A couple of sources agree with the school record i.e.:
    On a mission with seven other 18 Squadron Blenheims on the 20th September 1941 to attack shipping off the Dutch coast, R3843 (F) bombed a convoy off Zandvoort. The aircraft was hit by Flak and was seen to crash into the sea with its starboard engine burning. All three crew were killed.....

but I have also found a reference to
    The Blenheim Society Golden Jubilee Issue (issue 50) November 2004 which suggests:

Power Station raid Blenheim IV. Serial R3843. Sgt John Edward Pearson (Jack), 18Sq (RAFVR), RAF Manston, F/Sgt Jack Nickleson (RCAF), Sgt Walter Meadows, R3843, Wynn Roberts, Ken Palmer, Zandvoort 20/09/1941, 'Churchill's Light Brigade' by Dinty Moore, 'The Bristol Blenheim' by G Warner, page 366.

Can anyone with access to this article explain the contradiction please?

Secondly, I have found another reference to : The Blenheim Society Issue 56. Nov. 2006.
    which reads: info on Bader's leg. Letter thanking 18Sq & Tangmere Wing; W/Cdr Paddy Woodhouse saw drop by Sgt Nickelson (or Micheson) pilot, Sgt Meadows (obs) and Sgt Pearson (Wop/AG) in R3843, 19/08/1941. Sgt Scotney took photo.

Not sure if this is a photo of the crew or the letter but either way , can anyone advise as to how/where I could get a copy of it?
    Stan

Thanks

The correct report is the one for the shipping strike on 20th Sept 41, (R3843, WV-F...crew...Nickleson, Meadows and Pearson) The power station operation was on the 21st Sept 41, and all aircraft returned safely from this operation.
    Last edited by AlanW; 27th October 2016 at 12:19.

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation Alan.

Thanks

Hi Stan,

The 14 August 1941 edition of the London News-Chronicle carried a photo of Nickleson and his two crew following the Cologne raid.

There is also a 19 September 1941 article showing 10 airmen in front of an aircraft: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/cvwmuploa.../1077720_2.jpg

Unfortunately, one can't see what newspaper that's from. It's definitely not the Toronto Star.

As Nickleson was a local boy there is plenty on him, the Cologne raid and the leg drop. Nickleson's father was the head of operations for Canadian Pacific Telegraphs at the head office of Canadian Press in Toronto.
    His brother, Allan, was employed by the Canadian Press office in New York.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hi Stan,

The 14 August 1941 edition of the London News-Chronicle carried a photo of Nickleson and his two crew following the Cologne raid.

There is also a 19 September 1941 article showing 10 airmen in front of an aircraft: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/cvwmuploa.../1077720_2.jpg

Unfortunately, one can't see what newspaper that's from. It's definitely not the Toronto Star.

As Nickleson was a local boy there is plenty on him, the Cologne raid and the leg drop. Nickleson's father was the head of operations for Canadian Pacific Telegraphs at the head office of Canadian Press in Toronto.
    His brother, Allan, was employed by the Canadian Press office in New York.

Regards,

Dave
    Thanks for this Dave. I will try and get a copy of the photo.