Thread: 6s and 7s over what 766 squadron did.

Thanks

Default 6s and 7s over what 766 squadron did.

Firstly, thank you to members of the forum who helped in my research into RAF Helensburgh during WW11. In return I try to help others. Tim Davis in Australia has contacted me regarding his father Arthur Davis, aircraftman. He served with the RAF at Felixstowe before the war, was a reservist when war broke out and was then posted to 766 squadron. He worked on Sunderlands and Lerwicks. RAF Helensburgh was MAEE, can anyone advise Tim what 766 squadron did at Helensburgh. Arthur served with 2744 squadron at the end of the war and flew to locate a Me262. Don't know what that was about. Again, any help appreciated.
    robin bird

Thanks

766 being a FAA training/support unit, they will have had nothing to do with Sunderlands or Lerwicks. It is one of a number that dealt with floatplanes - or rather it would have been, because although intended to form in 1939 in this role it did not appear until 1942 running a night ALT course with Swordfish. So the unit number is apparently wrong.

There was no 2744 Squadron, nor was this number used by any Flight. Or not that I can find reference to. 274 Sq was on Tempests in 2nd TAF, which might imply an interest in Me262s.

Thanks

Robin,

It's devilish hard to find anything about 766 Squadron FAA, but our old friend Google will lead you to http://aggleton.name/0008GMAinWW2/00...66Squadron.htm.

It seems Tim is mistaken/confused about his father's wartime service, so perhaps the best place to start would be by obtaining his service record - see https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records

Brian

Thanks

There was a RAF Regiment Squadron 2744. TNA files AIR29/84 and 87 contain refs to these units. I will look later today if time allows.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Robin,

You might care to take a look at this page:

http://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/Regiment2.htm

766 RAF Regiment Squadron eventually became 2766 RAF Squadron Regiment.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th October 2016 at 11:03.

Thanks

Yes it really is 6s and 7s and thank you gentlemen for pointing me in the right direction which I suspect is 776 ground defence squadron later 2776 at Helensburgh. 766 RAF Machrihanish might have had some involvement with RAF Helensburgh. I will get back on to Tim with your feedback and clarify. The fact that 776 squadron was at Helensburgh is of interest to me, presumably it was to set up defence for the MAEE. So thanks for that information, too

robin

Thanks

2744 Squadron RAF Regiment was in Germany at the end of the war and occupied airfields identified as ZELTWEG, PAUSENDORF, RATTENBURG and FLATCAHACH (? Spelling as seen in ORB). This may account for the hunt for a 262. They used ‘AFVs’ which I assume to be armoured cars for several ops and it appears that they were ready for trouble. The Russians lines were quite close and this may have added to the tension. By October they were packed off to Greece.
    Hope this helps,
    Bruce

Thanks

Tim in Australia says it was a 'typo' error in his email and through the forum now confirms his father was at 2776 squadron Helensburgh. The information about RAF Machrihanish is of interest. My dad in his diary on Saturday July 18, 1942, goes aboard HMS Cardiff at 6-30am to photograph trials of a ricochet bomb. It is only a brief entry, as he should not have written such things down, but states that the bombs were dropped by Swordfish. It is likely they came from RAF Machrihanish? His photographs show the bombs bouncing in front of the bow of HMS Cardiff. I know MAEE had land based aircraft at Prestwick but not the six Swordfish used to drop the bombs, which dad had down as B bombs as in bouncing. On Tim's behalf I thank you for the information received.

robin

Thanks

RAF Machrihanish was the primary location for FAA training for squadrons destined for RAF co-operation. The squadrons preparing for channel duty worked up there even if they consisted of experienced flyers (eg 841 Sq FAA was formed at Lee on Sea but all original members came directly from a training assignment at Machrihanish despite most being Malta veterans). They had some blood-curdling training exercises including Army co-op and targets towed behind MGBs, both with live ammunition.

Bruce

Thanks

That must be it then, the Swordfish would have flown from Machrihanish as MAEE used waters off Islay for bomb, torpedo and rocket trials.