Thread: my granddad

Thanks

Default my granddad

Hi there
    I hope everyone is doing ok :)
    i am new to this site so forgive me if im in the wrong place
    i am looking for any details about my granddad Charles George Savage 340674 he was in 204 squadron in ww2 and ive found out that he was in [FONT=HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif][COLOR=#000000]Sierra Leone and since being on this site i believe to have found a picture of him all be it very small.
    [/COLOR][/FONT]and i have found out some small details but i still am not sure what rank he held (believe a warrant officer) and we have a post card with DW104 "K" on the back witch i know was a aircraft but unsure if he flow on "Katie".
    I know she lies at the bottom of Loch Ryan after being sunk at the end of the war.
    any info would mean the world to me.

Charles George Savage 340674

Charles George Savage 340674

Thanks

Scott, Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    What you need to do is to obtain his RAF Service Record (go to https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records - and follow the instructions). It will cost 30 and take a few weeks to arrive. They are very good at Cranwell and – if recent Service Record requests are anything to go by – the envelope will arrive in well under their forecast time! There are many, on this forum, who will help you decode the acronyms/short-forms of entries in that Record.
    His Service Number (340674) is in the block 340001-360000, Civilians, Allocated between Sep 1919 and Jun 1925 (probably nearer the former than the latter). If he was c.18 when he Enlisted then that would put his Birth date around 1901 (there are, surprisingly, quite a lot of ‘Charles George Savage’s’ on the BMD sites in this time-frame, so it’s difficult to decide which one!!). You can look up the 204 Sqn history on (http://www.rafweb.org/Menu%20Quick.htm).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!