Thread: Searching Flight magazine archives

Thanks

Default Searching Flight magazine archives

Last November Amrit posted very useful advice in the 'Useful Books etc' section that made searching the Flight archive for individuals much easier. The example he gave was the name Robert Pursey Short; R P Short gave 100 hits, R.P.Short gave one hit. It was excellent advice.

I regret that this no longer seems to work. Either I'm doing something wrong or someone's been playing with the Flight program, but we seem to be back in the 100 hits mode - most of them (in this instance) being totally useless adverts or articles about Short seaplanes.

Brian

Thanks

Default Concur

Yes, this seems to be the case, some functionality has been lost.

I might pop them a message in a few minutes.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

You've beaten me to it Dennis; I'd intended to do the same, but was waiting to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. The change must have been relatively recent.

I should also have added how frustrating it is that most hits tend to be skewded to the latter half of the 20th century, or a single person's name in the earlier years.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 26th June 2008 at 07:38.

Thanks

Brian,
    How many times do you expect to see Shorts name, what was his rank.

I tested a few things and I did get one hit from 1942, highlighted in red, when searching for

R. P. Short

Spaces between initials, capital letters, r. p. short didn't return the same result.

Give some of your names here and I'll see if we can find them.

FURTHER:
    I've runthough a number of the names I'm interested in and all turn up byt searching for the name with proper capitalisation and spacing

Try D. K. Banks
    M. C. Collins
    M. G. Begg

It still gives 100 hits but groups the good ones to the start. Also bear in mind that the OCR scanning may simply miss the person you want, mess up a letter etc etc like the gazette.

Don;t forget to search using only the last initial also i.e. K. Banks G. Begg

Incase that the first initial (s) have been scanned badly.

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 26th June 2008 at 08:36. Reason: Added further test information
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I've been having the same problem for a week or so, and as the system I had been using before (and had posted here) had been pretty accurate uptil then, I think their search engine has developed an error.

I have also noticed that sometimes the search defaults back to the front page, even though there have been 100 returns. And their returns for Name/Year combinations aren't as efficient as they used to be.

Hopefully the error will be picked up and rectified as it is an invaluable resource, especially as a number of citations were printed when they weren't available on the LG.

A

Thanks

Thanks chaps.

That was one combination I hadn't tried Dennis - sod's law.

Brian