Thread: No. 3 ITW December 1941 AC2 Graves

Thanks

Default No. 3 ITW December 1941 AC2 Graves

I recently found a photograph of D Flight, No. 1 Squadron, taken I assume in Torquay, with my father in the front row. The Squadron Leader was Pennink.
    I think this is where he met a young lady - my mother.
    From here he was sent to Sweetwater Texas USA for pilot instruction. This is where things get cloudy. He was transferred back to England and served the rest of the war on MTB's mainly in the North Sea. I'm writing a short family history for my children and I'm trying to fill the gaps as best I can. He passed away in 1951 and my mother a few years later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Popplecorn, Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.
    Yr man's Sqn Ldr in the photo was probably:

John Jacob Frank Pennink.
    b. 22 Mar 1913 (Reg Tunbridge Wells )
    d. Q4 1983 (Reg Tunbridge Wells 16 2068)
    2 Aug 1940 Commissioned Pilot Officer(p) in Admin& Spec Duties Branch (83383)
    22 Mar 1958 Relinquished Commission as Flt Lt (83383) but Retaining rank of Sqn Ldr.

This is the sort of thing that can be obtained (only for some - I hasten to add!!) with just a name. Give us yr man's name and/or Service Number.

You need to get his Service Record (go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records). It will cost you 30 and take about 10 weeks to arrive. You can then see where/when he went (plenty on the forum will help you with decoding the acronyms.short-forms).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 31st October 2016 at 16:17. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

His name is Richard Paul Graves and before and after WWII was a police constable initially in Liverpool and then Devon.

Thanks

Popplecorn,
    Are you able to share the photo with us?
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Default I also have this photo!

My father Gordon Crawford is 4th from the right back row. He was only survivor of Boston crew shot down by American fighter over Italy. He was later captured and spent most of rest of war in POW camp. He wrote down his war experiences for my daughter which we of course treasure so much. My father died in 2002.