Thread: Fgt.Sgt E.M. Muttart Service No.R/64729

Thanks

Default Fgt.Sgt E.M. Muttart Service No.R/64729

Does anyone have the book by W.R. Chorley, Title: RAF Bomber Command Losses of The Second World War. Volume 2, which covers 1941? If so, would you be kind enough to look up the reference for Flight L9561 "H", which crashed near Harlingen, The Netherlands on October 12/13, 1941? I am doing research on Flight Sgt Elmer M. Muttart, the pilot who died in the crash, The rest of the crew was able to bail out and survived, but ended up in POW camps. I would like to know exactly what is written in the book about this event. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Pieter

Thanks

Hello

Chorley has the pilot as Flight Sergeant E.B. MUTTART R.C.A.F., buried in the General Cemetery at Harlingen.

He was the pilot and captain of Handley Page Halifax Mk I serial number L9561 coded MP-H, of No. 76 Squadron. The plane took off at 19:45 hrs from Middleton St George to bomb Bremen. Shot down by the night fighter (Lt Leopold Fellerer, 4./NJG 1) and crashed 21:49 hrs near Wons (Friesland), 10 km South of Harlingen.
    All the other crewmembers survived and were captured.
    P/O N.F. Trayler
    Sgt David Cotsell (captured near Leewarden according to his PoW questionnaire, WO 344 series at Kew)
    Sgt L.A. Roberts
    Sgt R.W.F. Alexander
    Sgt W.H. Hunt
    Sgt G.H. Patterson
    Sgt J.W. Duffield

Hope this helps.

Joss

Thanks

Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello

Chorley has the pilot as Flight Sergeant E.B. MUTTART R.C.A.F., buried in the General Cemetery at Harlingen.

He was the pilot and captain of Handley Page Halifax Mk I serial number L9561 coded MP-H, of No. 76 Squadron. The plane took off at 19:45 hrs from Middleton St George to bomb Bremen. Shot down by the night fighter (Lt Leopold Fellerer, 4./NJG 1) and crashed 21:49 hrs near Wons (Friesland), 10 km South of Harlingen.
    All the other crewmembers survived and were captured.
    P/O N.F. Trayler
    Sgt David Cotsell (captured near Leewarden according to his PoW questionnaire, WO 344 series at Kew)
    Sgt L.A. Roberts
    Sgt R.W.F. Alexander
    Sgt W.H. Hunt
    Sgt G.H. Patterson
    Sgt J.W. Duffield

Hope this helps.

Joss
    This sure helps, thanks Joss.

Thanks

Hi,

I have the personal file of Elmer Muttart (downloaded it from Library and archives Canada) Thanks for the reply

Thanks

thanks as stated I downloaded the personal records from Library and Archives Canada

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

A memorial plaque is to be unveiled at Wons on Saturday, October 12, the anniversary of the loss of L9561 and pilot Flt Sgt Elmer B Muttart, RCAF. It will be attended by family members of some of the crew, including Muttart's.

I have the invitation (in Dutch) if anyone is interested in a copy.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 9th October 2019 at 18:18.