Thread: RAF unit in WW2 - F.I.F.D.V. - what does this stand for?

Thanks

Default RAF unit in WW2 - F.I.F.D.V. - what does this stand for?

Maybe someone here has the answer to this one...

I'm looking through the record of service for an RAF pilot who, after completing a tour with 97 Squadron in November 1942, he gets posted to a unit referenced as F.I.F.D.V., where he remains until posted on to 1660 HCU in November 1943. Under 'Special Remarks' it provides the comment 'Duty with demonstration squadron'. During this period I know that he was instrumental in putting bomber crews through training in evasion of fighter attacks, for which he was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross. But can anyone identify what F.I.F.D.V. stands for? It comes up on no list of units that I can find.

Thanks

Hello,
    Just a guess,
    But could it stand for -
    Fighter Interception Flight,
    Followed by
    D for Douglas as per Boston and Havoc
    and
    V for Vickers as per Wellington.
    As a Bomber man perhaps he was crew in the Douglas and Vickers a/c with the Unit ?
    As said just a guess.
    Alex

Thanks

Thanks Alex,
    That is certainly a possibility. Is there other precedent for giving units letters based on aircraft type flown?
    Could have used Bostons/Havocs as attacking twin-engined 'fighters', with evasion training done in Wellingtons.
    My suspicion is that it was something related to 5 Group (possibly more generally within Bomber Command?), as he returned to 1660 HCU to muster a new crew for a second tour with 97 Squadron after this time with 'F.I.F.D.V.', so he was very much a 5 Group, 97 squadron, and Lancaster man.

Thanks

Hello,

Probably, the "Air Fighting Development Unit"!

See: Hugh Halliday's Post #10:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...VERILL-(45546)

Trivia:

As stated elsewhere, S/L Deverill DFC, AFC, DFM, lost his life on 16/17 December, 1943, when No.97 Sqn Lancaster III JB243 crashed near Graveley. No so evident, is the fact that the sole survivor, 1379143 W/O (Air Gnr.) James BENBOW DFM, who received serious burns, is the "J BENBOW", mentioned in the Guinea Pig Listing, elsewhere on this Forum.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd November 2016 at 07:43.

Thanks

Thanks Col!

AFDU it is. And Ernest Deverill is the man. Downloaded a copy of the November 1942 ORB and it also states his transfer as being to the AFDU, so FIFDV was the result of someone probably reading someone else's poor handwriting.