Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help understanding what squadron etc my great grandfather was in Frank wilfred Taylor

Thanks

Default help understanding what squadron etc my great grandfather was in Frank wilfred Taylor

Hi i have tried uploading the info i have but i really cant figure out how o do that on here, so the details i have for my great grandad Frank Wilfred Scot Taylor 1885-1958 from Luton, Bedfordshire England

Frank wilfred Taylor
    service number 538102

royal engineers -sapper
    raf - flight officer

there is also a number of nw/8/27395 wrote on top of the index card not sure what this may refer to

i also have this inforamtion from his enlistment papers http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/12...42892865/facts

I am hoping to find what squadron he was in as i have found old newspapers online london gazette showing his promotions through the ranks to wing commander but am unsure of anymore and would ultimately love to find a photograph

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

The best source will be his RAF Officer service record.

As he served prior to 1920s his record has been transferred to The National Archives at Kew

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C1183251

Either a trip to Kew will allow you to view this or you can task either the TNA or a private copy service eg Bruce Dennis on this forum for a copy.

Prices vary for copy so it pays to shop around.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Yes i think a trip to the Kew is needed, thanks very much for your help

Justina

Thanks

Justina,

You don't say whether there is any family memorabilia relating to your great grandfather. For example, his war medals will give some indication of theatres in which he served, as will any surviving correspondence.

Given he was born in 1885, it seems probable that he served in WWI - is that when he was a Royal Engineer? Furthermore, his name should appear in three national census records 1891, 1901, and 1911 and this should provide information on his wider life.

Whilst The RAF Record of Service is the key to his RAF career, you might want to explore what The Royal Engineers can tell you about him.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi colin thanks thats very good pointwe dont have any memorabilia as we were not in contact with my grandfather when he died a few years ago and to be honest have no idea what happened to all his and his fathers belongings. I have been making a little progress, i have his index crd from 1916 however it doesnt appear to have much info on it. (unsure how to upload it here) however on his enlistment paper dated 1916 it does say he was royal engineer and i think it says ex force france which i am now assuming was the british expeditionary force and part of n and hants regiment - hampshire. i have been reading up trying to work out what battlion he was in I have booked to go to the kew and see further documents that have not yet been digitalized. I have part of his enlistment documents on ancestry that have a stamp for awd and victory medal but no details.
    Thanks for your reply, so glad i came across this site!
    Justina Taylor
    Last edited by justinaTaylor; 4th November 2016 at 10:18.

Thanks

You have a copy of his medal card I suppose?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D5496214

Thanks

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-not...s-page-size=10

Publication Date14 January 1921

The London Gazette, Issue 32193, Page 376

Pilot Officer Frank Wilfred TAYLOR is granted a permanent commission as Flying Officer, with effect 'from the
    1st Dec. 1919,

Also his Officer Service Number was 10157

Air Force List April 1940

10157 Taylor F. W. Wg.Cr. (E) 1. 7.39

The London Gazette, Supplement 37947, Page 2013

…. * Retirement. . 23rd June 1946. Wing Commander F. W. TAYLOR ( 10157) retaining the rank of Group Captain.

I must admit I a little confused by service number 538102 (not sure this is RAF Service number) as this in range 505001 to 549999 issued from Oct 1925 Civilians

IGNORE Last comment the answer on medal card

Medal card of Taylor, Frank Wilfred

Corps

Regiment No

Rank

Royal Engineers 538102 Sapper
    Royal Air Force 538102 Flight Officer

Thanks

Right!!!!!

Now we know he served as an RAF officer from 1919 to mid 1946 and retained the rank of Group Captain on retirement. This suggests that he was probably held acting or war substantive rank above his substantive rank of Wg Cdr.

The RAF List is a record of all serving officers and the RAF Retired List is just what it says on the tin. They were published annually and at some stage the AFL started to be produced twice per year.

Your great grandfather will be recorded in the first book and the index will show if he served at places like the air ministry or a command or group HQ at home or overseas.

You might want to contact Mary Hudson at the Air Historical Branch (RAF) at RAF Northolt and ask her what information sources there might be which still exist for your GGF. There is a service, which costs, but which is a search of documents. However, before entering that particular pit, you need to have some realistic prospect that something has been retained.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Paul
    thanks for you help i have just looked up Wing Commander F. W. TAYLOR 10157 however it is for a frederick wilmslow taylor unfortunately.
    I have booked to view some document that have not yet been digitilised so i am hoping they will supply alot more information

Thanks

thanks for your help guy i really appreciate it

ive managed to attach these, as they probably make a lot more sense that i am making. I just really want to work out what battalions he was in during the ww1 and then the squadrons etc from the raf and in turn hopefullly find a photograph.

Are they any other records you could suggest that i can request to view at the kew as i would like to make the most of the day there. Im genuinely excited for my trip there on weds

Thank again

Justina Taylor
    Last edited by justinaTaylor; 4th November 2016 at 19:08.