Thread: F/Sgt. J. Dillon 408 Squadron

jas827 Guest

Default F/Sgt. J. Dillon 408 Squadron

I am new to the board and looking for some direction. I am looking for more information on my uncle, James R. Dillon (OR Raymond J. Dillon as I have found it listed both ways).

His plane was shot down on May 15, 1942. He was 24. I do have some information but am hoping to find more. Here is what I have found on various sites.

"Hampden on a gardening operation
    No. 420 Squadron dispatched three Hampdens to ‘Pumkin’, which was a mine-laying area in the northern part of the Great Belt, as well as the way out of the Great Belt. All three aircraft completed the operation and returned to RAF Waddington.
    No. 408 Squadron sent 13 Hampdens, of which two did not return.

The German mine-sweeper was an expensive acquaintance for No. 408 Squadron, as the last two aircraft from the squadron were shot down by this ship. Hampden Mk. I AT224 (EQ-A) was hit at 01.53 hours. It exploded in the air and, burning, crashed into the sea west of Samsø. The entire crew, consisting of F/Sgt. J. Dillon, Sgt. R. Dreyer, P/O C. Cresswell and Sgt. W. Palmer, were killed."

I also know he is buried in Denmark. My uncle was an American and graduated from a Canadian flying school near Moncton, New Brunswick on 5/15/41

If anyone knew him, anything about his time with the RCAF, his missions/aircraft or could direct me to the right place on this board or other sites, I would be most grateful. Absolutely any information would be cherished.

Thank you so much

Thanks

From the Hampden File

"Flight Sergeant RJ Dillon, a native of the USA, had, like many of his fellow countrymen, enlisted in the RCAF. He trained as a pilot, and had managed a wheels up landing in P2142 at 16 OTU during the last period of his training prior to his posting at 408 RCAF Squadron at Balderton . The precise reason why this Yank in the RAF came to be flying at 100 feet over the uneven terrain of North West Brittany is somewhat obscure but very nearly resulted in the entry 'failed to return' being made against AE150 in the record book. Instead there is a brief account of their encounter with the French electricity grid system, which might have been almost have been headed 'a shocking experience'.
    'F/Sgt Dillon took off from Balderton in AE150 on 2/3 May 1942...at 00.29 he collided with a HT cable in position 48.20N,04.07W whilst flying at 100 feet, the starboard wingtip and aileron were damaged, the pilot's windscreen was smashed and 10 feet of cable left dangling from the stbd wingtip. The pilot noticed a huge shape in front of the a/c which turned out to be a steel tower cable support and hit the cable as he banked to avoid the tower...'.
    AE150 and its crew returned safely to Balderton. The Hampden was soon back in action and went missing in August, but Dillon and probably the same crew in AT224 were shot down by a flak ship only two weeks after the cable incident. Dillon and another of the crew are buried in Denmark, Two were nver found."

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default Library and Archives of Canada

jas,

His R.C.A.F. service file is held by the Library and Archives of Canada. I suggest you contact them regarding how to go about obtaining a copy of it, or portions of it. I understand that some R.C.A.F files can contain upwards 300 pages and there are of course copying/mailing charges.

He died while on active service during WW2, therefore no proof of death is required nor is proof of family relationship required; his file is available to anyone who wishes to obtain it.

Perhaps one of our correspondents can chime in with the Library and Archives of Canada charges for pulling/copying/mailing a "typical" R.C.A.F. service record?

Here is the info to contact LAC of Canada regarding service records. They can not respond to on-line requests (email, telephone) so contact them via snail-mail or FAX at 613-947-8456.

Library and Archives Canada

Access to Information, Privacy and Personnel Records Division
    395 Wellington Street
    Ottawa, ON KIA 0N4
    CANADA
    Telephone: 613-996-5115 or 1 866 578-7777 (toll free in Canada and in the United States)
    Fax: 613-992-9350
    Fax: 613-947-8456 (personnel files of former civilian federal employees or military service files of former members of the Canadian Armed Forces).

Thanks

See: http://www.flensted.eu.com/194221.shtml
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com