Thread: F/Sgt James „Jackˮ Gillies

Thanks

Default F/Sgt James „Jackˮ Gillies

Hi,

as I am writting my book, I just can not get all ORBs I need, so the other way is to ask somebody who can. :-)

I am researching many air combats during 1940 and one happend on 17th October 1940, so druring the Battle of Britain. Gillies from No. 421 Flight was hit by Me 109 and crashed on landing supposedly around 14.20 or earlier. He was flying Hurricane Mk.II L-Z-O, but I dont know serial number. He was also wounded. Was he really wounded or injured? How? I know that it was not serious.

He claimed shared probable Do 17 on 7th December 1940, than another propable Do 17 later.

On 7th December 1940 he was shot down again, this time by air gunner 5 miles (8 km) of French coast and force-landed at Capel-le-Ferne without injury. He was probably flying Spitfire Mk.IIA P7448/L-Z-(?). Spitfire was delivered to AST for extensive repairs and on 30th March 1940 issued to No. 65 Squadron. Anybody knows something more about it? No German loss or casualty is known. This non existed victory was probably claimed with F/Lt Billy Drake.

Thank you very much for help about those events and pilot.
    Last edited by AnkitaMishra; 10th November 2016 at 09:31.

Thanks

Hello Ankita,
    Can you clarify what squadron he was with according to your source?

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

As I wrote, he was member of No. 421 Flight and than No. 91 Squadron. I think that he was also member of No. 41 Squadron for short time in 1940, in September sent to 152 Squadron and than 602 Squadron.
    Last edited by AnkitaMishra; 10th November 2016 at 09:18.