Thread: AI Beaufighter Flight

Thanks

Default AI Beaufighter Flight

Morning All,

Peter Green, a British night fighter ace was put at the head of this flight in 1943. Does anyone know more about this unit on which nothing can be found (as far as I tried myself!). Actually, it is only in Chris Shores'book 'Aces High' that a trace of this unit is reported.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil, Hi,

From Sturtivant. You might find some information in the ORB of the Fighter Interception Unit (later the Fighter Interception Development Sqn). They were probably at Ford in 1943 and used a number of different aircraft types (including Beaufighters).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 16th September 2015 at 09:33. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks, but I checked Sturtivant's book before posting a thread, nothing. If I believe Shore's book, the unit was based at Drem, not Ford. This unit seems to be a ghost. Does anyone know which night fighter units were based there in 1943?
    Thanks
    Phil

Thanks

Phil,

Possibly -

No.1692 Flight.

Formed c.5/7/43 ex Radio Development Flight as No.1692 (Radio Development) Flight at DREM with Defiants, Beaufighters and Mosquitoes; 10/12/43 LITTLE SNORING in No.100 Group and redesignated No.1692 (Bomber Support Training) Flight, trained Mosquito crews on 'Serrate'; 21/5/44 GREAT MASSINGHAM 22/3/45 Strength 7 Anson, 13 Mosquito VI; Disbanded 16/6/45.

See: RAFT&SU/Sturtivant,Hamlin & Halley (1st.ed.,1997). p.145 (check 2nd.ed. for possible update).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th September 2015 at 11:35.

Thanks

Thanks Col, that's a good candidate indeed as Green left 85 Sqn to take over the first mentioned flight, and 1692 was formed in July, that matches. I was also thinking to AI Conversion Flight, but it was based at Cranfield, but that far from Drem and it was formed a bit later, in October.