Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Target France ?

Thanks

Default Special Target France ?

Hi,

On May 14th / 15th 1944 No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron was to independently mark with GH a special target in France for 50 Avro Lancaster's of No.31 and 32 Base. This would have been the first time a target had been marked without PFF involvement for 3 Group. The target was coded 4/J/199. The raid was scrubbed at the 11th hour. I have had difficulty in trying to establish the location of 4/J/199, ANY help appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 13th November 2016 at 11:57.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve, I wonder if special target relates to the V1 sites. You may, therefore be looking for a Noball Area Map. I have two, No 13 and No 18, neither of which fit your description. Nonetheless the "target" areas within each map are a similar reference to that which you mention. E.g. Map No 13 which is titled "Abbeville" has an area Behen which is defined as XI/A/59. While this is not a definitive answer it might point you down a particular, and hopefully correct, road. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Steve

I've been trying to reply to this post for 24 hours now but my posts don't seem to be registering!

On 12ochi! you state that the target was in the Pas de Calais so I agree that in May 1944 a "special" target is almost certainly NOBALL related. However I have never seen a NOBALL code like 4/J/199 I am wondering if it might be a code/reference for a target photo... Target XI/A/199 was construction works in the "Bois du Rossignol" which is inland and SSE from Berck sur Mer... might be a possibility.

Steve

Thanks

I suspect this target was actually a coastal battery in the Pasde Calais area. The common denominator for coastal battery target codes in this area is they all start with 4/J/xxx. The target codes for the coastal batteries in Normandy are 9/J/ or 10/J/ . It looks like the first letter is the area, 2nd is the type of target.

Thanks

Hello

I quite agree with David on this one. This is matching with volumes at Kew of targets in occupied France and looks like the reference of the picture showing the target and some détails. Problem is that there are several volumes, and each would have similar references like this one. I have copie the "Arras tactical area" volume, and started the "Lille tactical area" one.

I have to go but will get back later to the board.

Joss

Thanks

I can confirm that 4/J/199 was the target code for the coastal battery at Colline-Beaumont in the Pas de Calais. It was attacked on May 11th by 8 Group using Oboe and 54 Halifaxes from 4 Group.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 14th November 2016 at 17:16.

Thanks

Gents,

Thanks to each of you.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello

Dave beat me to it. That battery had 3 150 mm guns. On the GSGS map map 4040, sheet 71, it's on coordinates 688105, which I think you can also plot through echo delta translator.

Steve, if you are interested, drop me a mail and I'll send the relevant pages from the file AIR 40/1277 about it.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

I am a bit obsessed with NOBALL stuff at the moment which may or may not explain the lack of balance in my earlier response. I would be pleased to receive anything that helps me to understand what was going on.

Over the years I have found various aspects of the "British way" in waging the war very confusing. In the material I have on NOBALL sites (from AIR 40/1674) I have found that each site had at least two code numbers. So for example "Bois du Rossignol" had a "NOBALL Number" XI/A/199 and a "Target Operational Number" Z3231. I have been interested to try to establish once a site was identified how it was attacked and who by. I wanted examples rather than 100% coverage. I have been trying to find out whether Bomber Command used the codes I mention or whether they had something different ie a third reference system. It is helpful to have a lead to AIR 40/1277.

Steve

Thanks

Hello Steve

I've sent you by e-mail some of the pages from the big volume AIR 40/1276. But you'll see it doesn't cover Noball sites. For these you need to check / access Crossbow files at Kew. Have you ?

Joss