Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RW Mech and WW Mech Trades

Thanks

Default RW Mech and WW Mech Trades

Going through a service record and the Mustering entry mentions the chap as "R.W. Mech" which is new to me. I know about Wireless Mechanics and Radio Mechanics, but not RW Mechs. Would this be a Radio and Wireless Mechanic, and if so how did it differ to those individual trades? He was later re-mustered to WW Mech which I have no idea about. What would this trade be?

Thanks

Is there really no-one who can help with this query?

Thanks

Hi Ian

What time period are we talking about?

Malcolm

Thanks

Between 1941 and 1945.

Thanks

I would guess that you are PROBABLY on the right track with your attempts to limit the search area to some type of wireless or radio/radar trade, but if you have his record of service, can you provide details of his training (presume at an E&W School, or even a Radio School? Or perhaps a School of Technical Training?) Also what types of units did he serve with AFTER qualification? Does your documentation include any mention of being awarded the Wireless badge? (Latter usually called the "Sparks" badge, but NOT in official records!) The type of school he attended will hopefully give some indication whether that "W" letter is something to do with "Wireless" or then again it could something to do with "Winch" as in Barrage Balloon winches.
    David D

Thanks

The service record of the chap in question is as follows

3 Recruit Centre 9 June 1941
    1 Wing, 17 Recruit Centre
    920 Squadron
    Released
    Recalled to 3 Recruit Centre
    RAF Bishopbriggs
    239 Maintenance Unit (formerly RAF Bishopbriggs)
    6 Radio School
    132 Operational Training Unit
    Discharged 26 October 1945

So he was with a balloon squadron, but also went to a radio school.

Thanks

Is It possible there was a trade of Rope and Wire Mechanic or something similar? Was there perhaps something like a Winch Wire Mechanic? I'm still struggling to figure out what RW Mech and WW Mech were, so any information about these trades would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

I could add a photo of the service record showing the postings and mustering information if someone can advise on how to use the gallery feature. I can't see the login information which is supposed to be at the top of the General Category forum site, so can't login there to add an image. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Ian

A Table of Trades in a publication, published with assistance from the Directorate of Public Relations Air Ministry, promoting employment in the RAF (not an A.P.) indicates:-

A.C.H. Under Training Radio/Wireless Mechanic
    Applicants should be of School Certificate Standard, and/or have taken evening classes in mathematics or physics.

Radio Mechanic
    Only highly skilled radio men may be accepted for this trade. They should be Radio Engineers who are capable of servicing modern radio superhet sets. Men who have held an amateur transmitting licence may be accepted.

Wireless Mechanic
    Applicants must have a good practical and theoretical knowlege of Radio but will not be required to know or at a later date to learn Morse.

A separate training & trade Radio Operator too
    Radio Operator
    Must be men of above average intelligence and of undoubted integrity. Superior type of clerk not likely to become flurried under pressure is the class of candidate required. No technical knowledge is essential, but an elementary knowledge of radio is an asset in obtaining a post in this trade.

Wireless Operator
    There was obviously a separate Wireless Operator training & trade listed too.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 1st November 2016 at 09:00. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Mark,
    Do you have an approximate date for the above details? Reason I ask is that for an early period of WW2, the word Radio (or RDF) referred to what later renamed as Radar (the USA acrynom of this "special equipment"). There were also commissioned officers known as Radio Officers in the RAF (period 1941 to 1943 perhaps?) who were then renamed as Radar Officers.
    David D