Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Transport Auxiliary WWII

Thanks

Default Air Transport Auxiliary WWII

Good morning all ... I saw a news spot last evening concerning a lady - now 99 - who was a member of the Air Transport Auxiliary. Sadly I didn`t catch her name.

I realise that I know very little about the ATA, and would like to know more. Can anyone recommend a book, preferably written by someone who was there?

Thanks as always JeanB

Thanks

Jean,
    "Brief Glory, the story of the ATA" by E. C. Cheesman, published 1946 by Harborough would fit the bill.
    It covers the ATA from inception to last flight, has appendices that list all ATA pilots, all type of aircraft ferried and honours and commendations.

Sean.

Thanks

Jean

Was it Molly Rose?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-rose-obituary

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks very much Sean, I will check it out.

Simon, no it couldn`t be Molly Rose. The lady I saw was very much alive at 99. Thanks for your interest.

JeanB

Thanks

Joyce Lofthouse???

Thanks

Morning .... no, it wasn`t Joyce Lofthouse either ... I looked her up and again she is too young at only (?) 93. I did send a mail off to South Today, but received an autoresponse saying that they can`t reply to individual enquiries. I have also checked out Sean`s suggestion of Brief Glory at several online sites, but unfortunately it seems to be out of print. So I shall have to see if I can get it secondhand somewhere.

However, thanks for the suggestion. Jean

Thanks

I have "Brief Glory" and a book called: "Air Transport Auxiliary - The Lost Child". I would be prepared to loan these books to you on the strict understanding that they are returned fairly quickly and providing you don't live in some remote part of the outback where the supply train only calls once a quarter!

I got both books via the Maidenhead Tourist Office - worth a try.

Send me your address via a PM or to: 684sqnATtinyonline.co.uk .

By the way, I made a mistake - it's Joy not Joyce. Her late husband Charles, was a pathfinder OBE DFC and a POW from 7 Sqn. He and I served together at Tern Hill 1964-66 time. He was a tall very urbane sort of chap whose hair was always just a little bit too long for the likes of the station warrant officer!!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hallo Colin, and thankyou so much for the generous offer. I really would not feel comfortable in accepting however - if we were perhaps in the same continent - but although I would return the books quickly, I would be unhappy at consigning them to the post, knowing how difficult it is to get hold of them. You are a star, however, to make the offer.

I have been doing a spot of searching online and have come up with a report on a conference, which seems to give a great deal of the sort of information I was looking for. For the benefit of all who may be interested the web address is

Clare_WalkerAWE2006.pdf

and there are some 13 pages.

Hope this is of interest Colin, and thanks also for the tip re. the Maidenhead Tourist Office - I shall follow it up.

Regards Jean B

Thanks

I am busy working on a website about this organisation, I will post the final link to these forums once the site goes live, but for those wanting to take a sneak peak you can view it at the temporary link here:

http://www.airtransportauxiliary.co.uk/index2.php

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimCorbett1977 View Post
    I am busy working on a website about this organisation, I will post the final link to these forums once the site goes live, but for those wanting to take a sneak peak you can view it at the temporary link here:

http://www.airtransportauxiliary.co.uk/index2.php

Jim
    My father in law joined the ATA in April 1941 after being invalided out of the Army in March 1941, having been hospitalised after returning from Dunkirk. He became a Flight Captain and served at White Waltham Airfield near Maidenhead until the ATA was disbanded in 1945, i have his ATA service record and a photo (somewhere) in his uniform if you are interested.