Thread: Operation Glimmer D-Day 1944

Thanks

Default Operation Glimmer D-Day 1944

Hi,

Hoping one of our Luftwaffe experts could help with this post. I have seen it recorded in a few books that a German reconnasinnce aircraft was dispatched to investigate the "Spoof" fleet of "Glimmer".

Can anyone confirm if any aircraft were dispatched and from what unit ?

Thanks in advance.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Stve

I’m not a Luftwaffe / GAF expert but I did happen to read an informative web page recently and think it goes along way to helping answer your question. There is a summation here http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/Watch/assess2.html# which indicates 5.(F)/123 as a possible candidate, also this map http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/Watch/watchmap.html indicates it was in thier sphere of operations. However given, I assume, Glimmer was flown at night as this unit was day operations it may not quite be right one you are seeking.

I would add that in the past I have corresponded with the owner of the website, Nick Beale, on Enigma related matters and was most helpful and would be sure he can guide you further.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Steve,

I might be able to help a little with your query; the following comes from page 123 of the first draft of the RAF Narrative: The Liberation of North West Europe (available on-line at http://www.cms.airpowerstudies.org.u...dyLandings.pdf ).

Operation Glimmer.

This operation was a Naval-Air feint against the beaches on eiher side of Boulonge in which No 218 Squadron (W/C R M Fenwick-Wilson AFC) assisted by creating the impression that a large convoy was approaching at seven knots. The Air operation concerned only six aircraft, three of them for 2.75 hours and three for 1.75 hours. The method of producing echoes on the enemy radar was exactly the same as in Operation Taxable.

This feint scored an important success. Searchlights and guns opened up on the convoy, ABC aircraft put up to jam enemy night fighter radio control transmission were mistaken for cover over the convoy, and the bulk of the enemy night fighter aircraft was put up against the ABC patrol, with the result that there were several encounters leading to combats with one enemy night fighter destroyed. One of our own aircraft (from 101 Squadron) was lost. E-boats were also sent against the Naval convoy

I've deliberately not described Operation Taxable as your query referred specifically to German reconnaissance aircraft. So, yes, the Glimmer operation was intercepted, but by night fighters, not reconnaissance aircraft..

Brian

Thanks

Further to my previous post, Steve, and please forgive me if this is stating the obvious, perhaps the best way forward to identify at least one of the German units involved, is to identify the 101 Squadron aircraft that was lost and link this with Luftwaffe claims for the night. (Except I'm sure someone will tell me there's an easier way.)

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

101 sent 24 Lancasters flying "Patrol D over English Channel". Source MJF Bowyer Aircraft for the Many.

Only one was lost LL833 - O and the Air Britain Lanc file says lost power and ditched in Channel. Perhaps for this reason Theo Boiten does not mention this aircraft in his book?

Sorry Steve, doesn t help you at all !
    cheers Peter

Thanks

Gents,

A belated thank you for all your help.

I do have one further question, does anyone have any idea of the identity of the German coastal battery and where it was located.

Kind regards and thank you again.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~