Thread: Spitfire X4409 pilot E V Darling or H H Chalder? 9.40

Thanks

Default Spitfire X4409 pilot E V Darling or H H Chalder? 9.40

Hi

Hope someone maybe able to solve a problem please.
    I am trying to find out if Sgt E V Darling or P/O H H Chalder was shot down in Spitfire X4409 with 41 Squadron?.
    Many sites list Sgt Darling shot down on the 27th September 1940 as baling out of X4409 but I have also seen this listed as being the aircraft P/O Chalder was shot down in on the 28th September 1940 again with 41 Squadron, any confirmation appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Autogiro

Darling was WIA (shoulder) in X4409 and the aircraft sustained combat damage resulting in him force-landing it on 27 September 1940. He did not bale out of the aircraft, which presumably only sustained light damage, as it was flying the following day. On 28 September, Chalder was shot down in the same aircraft and baled out. The aircraft exploded over Chilham, a few miles southwest of Canterbury, and Chalder landed at Garlinge Green, approximately two miles east of his aircraft. He was immediately taken to the nearby St. Augustine’s Hospital in Chartham, but died of his wounds.

May I ask your interest in this aircraft and these pilots, please?

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply.
    Yes my father has been researching Spitfires for many years and has been going back through some old files on the BofB period and came across this query.
    May I ask is the information you have from the ORB? it's just that I find it curios that it was flying again so soon after Darling was injured in it on the 27th?.
    Looking at the information I have from After The Battle Then & Now it has Darling as shot down and baling out of an unknown Spitfire on the 27th and it written-off.

Thanks

Hi Autogiro

I don't know why "ATB Then and Now" would say Darling baled out. While I appreciate ORBs were not always correct, the 41 Sqn F540 for 27 Sep 40 states, "Sgt. DARLING crashed, wounded in shoulder, admitted to PRESTON HALL HOSPITAL". On 28 Sep 40, it states, ""P/O. CHALDER baled out seriously injured, admitted to CHARTHAM MILITARY HOSPITAL." (All capitals as per ORB). The F541 for the same dates clearly shows Darling in X4409 on 27 Sep 40 and Chalder in the same aircraft on 28 Sep 40.

"Spitfire, The History" mentions the 28 Sep 40 loss, but not Darling's 27 Sep 40 incident, so this may suggest the damage was slight and repairable on site.

Hope this helps
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve

Many thanks I cant argue with that kind of information, I think that probably clears that up, much appreciated.