Thread: 41 Sqn? Bristol Bulldog K2190 Crashed Boxmoor, Herts 20th April 1932

Thanks

Default 41 Sqn? Bristol Bulldog K2190 Crashed Boxmoor, Herts 20th April 1932

Gloucester Citizen - Thursday 21 April 1932

Page 5

AIRMAN'S ESCAPE 'PLANE CRASHES INTO EMBANKMENT An R.A.F. aeroplane crashed into the L.M.S. main line railway embankment near Boxmoor, Herts, after making a forced landing. The machine was badly damaged and had to be dismantled. pilot. Aircraftsman "Simms", stationed at Halton Camp, Bucks, was uninjured. The aeroplane when over Boxmoor was seen to be in difficulties. The engine failed and the pilot landed on strip of common land. In taking off the machine failed to rise and crashed through the railway fence, burying its nose in the embankment.

A picture in the Sphere April 30, 1932

Reveals the serial to be K2190 and in what "appears" 41 Sqn Coded 'H'

I wonder if the pilot could be South African Flying Officer Jack Blanchard Sims #29249

http://brew.clients.ch/pilotss23-39.htm#Pilots

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I'm not prepared to rule out that it was JB Sims, as I have no unequivocal evidence either way.

That said, while we know that newspaper reports were (and still are) riddled with errors, for what it is worth...

1. Sims was an APO at the time of the above accident, not an AC (but then, since when were AC's also pilots?!)
    2. You don't indicate the type of aircraft this was. At the time, if it was 41 Sqn, it would have to have been a Bulldog.
    3. I have no record of Sims being involved in a flying accident on 41 Sqn (AM1180's, Avia 5 AARs, 41 Sqn ORB, etc.)
    4. 41 Sqn was based at RAF Northolt at the time, and there is no record of them being being at Halton for any reason (e.g. Bomber affiliation exercise at Bircham Newton, 2-15 May 32; RAF Annual displays at Andover and Hendon, 17 & 25 Jun 1932; ADGB Command Air Exercises, 18-21 Jul 32; Annual Air Firing Practice, Sutton Bridge, 2-20 August 1932)

On this basis, I would suggest it is possible, but unlikely to be JB Sims of 41 Sqn.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve

Was Bristol Bulldog

If you pm me email I will send you copy of picture

Maybe markings confirm 41sqn

Paul

Thanks

Ps Bulldog has "H" one cowl

Was Simms in A Flight?

Thanks

Looking up this aircraft in K file says it was on 41 Sqn initially but then 54 Sqn but says SOC 6-4-32

Date in AB book must be in doubt as Gloucester paper daily and can't believe reporting 2 week old news

I wonder if a Simms on 54 Sqn at time?

I wonder if what I thought was a red stripe is a yellow one but appears to dark

Thanks

Re 'Aircraftmen pilots' mentioned by Steve. I have seen references before, particularly in respect of Bulldog aircraft. Here is one of them:-

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.c...936-butterton/

DaveW