Thread: Air raid Firth of Forth 16 June 1941

Thanks

Default Air raid Firth of Forth 16 June 1941

Hi guys

Can anyone fill me in on what happened of this date? I have a note that either two He111s or two Ju88s were attacked or damaged by fighters including a Sea Hurricane, but I cannot find any additional detail.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Helll from 1/KGr100 shot down by P/O W.M. Gossland/Sgt. Phillips of 604 Sq. Crew: Oberfw. H. Ittner, Uffz. F. Koster, Gefr. W. Porada, Gefr. H. Keul killed. Ufz. H. Berwig baled out but died of injuries. Not found until 11/03/1944.

Helll from 3/KGr100 shot down by F/Lt. D.S. Pain AFC/F/O Davies of 68 Sq.Fw. G. Dieneger PoW, Oberlt. H. Pohner, Fw. K. Ott, Fw. O. Hertzberg, Fw. K. Engels killed.

The Blitz Then & Now Vol.3

Thanks

Default Air raid 16 June 1941

Hi John

Many thanks for the response, but these two fell in Wiltshire.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Are you sure it is 1941? The attacks in the Firth of Forth were mainly after naval vessels earlier in the war.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Larder View Post
    Are you sure it is 1941? The attacks in the Firth of Forth were mainly after naval vessels earlier in the war.
    The best known raids were early in the war, mainly because most enemy activity was directed against the east coast ports and Scotland in particular. However, there were air attacks on the Scottish coast throughout the war. I certainly don't see any reason why the raid Brian is asking about couldn't have taken place in 1941. Unfortunately, I have no information about it from records of radar stations, which don't really get into details of raids until later in 1941 and into 1942.

Thanks

Default Firth of Forth June 1941

Hi Ian and John

Certainly not 1940 as Sea Hurricane involved. And when I say 'raid' I assume as at least two aircraft - either He111s or Ju88s were claimed - then it was more than just a reconnaissance. There must be a reference to this somewhere! I wonder if there were any Luftwaffe losses?

I will keep digging!
    Cheers
    Brian