Thread: Flt. Lt. R. P. R. Finucane

Thanks

Default Flt. Lt. R. P. R. Finucane

Hi all

I have information that 122410 Flt. Lt. Raymond Patrick Robert Finucane served with 41 Squadron in 1945. I understand he may be the younger brother of Wg. Cdr. Brendan E. F. ‘Paddy’ Finucane DSO DFC**. I have the following details:

Sgt. Plt. (1268623), date unknown
    Prob. Plt. Off. (122410), 1 May 1942
    Flg. Off., 1 Nov. 1942
    Flt. Lt., 1 May 1944
    41 Sqdn. d/u-21 Mar. 1945 (‘after prang’)

I am led to believe that R. P. R. Finucane also served with 610 Sqdn. and 486 Sqdn. RNZAF.

He relinquished his commission in the RAFVR, retaining Flt. Lt., on appointment to a commission as Flg. Off. (5 yrs.) in the reconstituted RAFVR, ACB, 16 Feb. 1952; Flt. Lt., ACB, 4 Nov. 1954; service extended by 5 years, WEF 16 Dec. 1957; relinquished commision ca. 28 Dec. 1962

My questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm he was indeed the younger brother of Paddy Finucane?
    2. Can anyone tell me, please, when he served with 610 and 486 Squadrons?
    3. Can anyone give me any background info, such as a birthdate/place, date of joining the RAFVR, dates and/or locations of flying training?
    4. Can anyone confirm his date of retirement in 1962?

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default hmmm...

Steve,

Just looking at Paddy Finiucane:Fighter Ace by Doug Stokes.

It states that Raymond also "became a pilot on Spitfires, but too late to join his elder brother in Fighter Command" It also says, "Ray Finucane, now a sergeant air-gunner with 101 Sqn at Oakington" It also states that he ended the war as a F/Lt.

So, served as a A/G and then re-mustered as a pilot?

Jim

Thanks

Steve,

Paul Sortehaug's detailed history of 486 Sqn confirms that RPR Finucane ("an Irishman") served with the sqn, during April-July 1945. He also confirms that RPRF was a brother of the famous 'Paddy', and goes on to say "Finucane had orignally qualified as a Wireless Operator/Airgunner and done a tour in 3 Group, with 101 Bomber Squadron. He had then re-mustered as a pilot, late in the war, and before his posting to Vokel had previously flown Spitfires with 41 Squadron and the County of Chester 610 Squadron." And, on leaving 486, "Paddy went to a Repair Unit on ferrying duties..." RPRF appears in two group photos in the book, one dated June 1945 and the other 1954 (sqn reunion).

Errol

Thanks

Steve, Twelfth Supplement (LG 42881 dated 1 Jan 63) to LG dated 28 Dec 62 has an entry on Page 6 for Finucane (122410) dated 16 Dec 62. Unfortunately the last page of the Supplement (Page 6) hasn't been scanned so when you click on the entry it comes up with an error message. Presumably this is the retirement entry given the 1957 entry. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hi Jim, Errol and Terry

Thank you for looking this up for me and answering some of my queries, which have brought me a few steps further. I think, in hindsight, 16 Dec. 1962 iso 28 Dec. is more likely to be his date of retirement.

Terry - I had the exact same problem with this page in the LG, hence my query on his retirement date. Your reply shows that it is not me, rather the LG edition itself that is the issue with this page not displaying. I have just e-mailed and informed the LG, to see if they can resolve it. I haven't made any direct contact with them before, so will be interested to see their response.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm