Thread: 126828 Alan Gibson, D.F.C., 102 Sqn

Thanks

Default 126828 Alan Gibson, D.F.C., 102 Sqn

Hello everyone

Doing a bit of research about the above Flying Officer, awarded the D.F.C. in December 1943. The Newcastle Journal of December 7th 1943 reports the following:

"Flight Lieut. Alan Gibson, of Gosforth, has been awarded the D.F.C.
    During an attack on Berlin his port outer engine failed but he continued his flight and bombed the target.
    Another time when attacking Munich his plane was intercepted by a fighter, but his skilful flying enabled his air gunner to shoot the attacker down.
    He has been a highly-successful captain, the “Gazette” states."

Whilst doing a bit of online searching, I also came across some reports of the crash of DH Comet G-ALYP, which crashed off Elba in Janaury 1954, flown by an Alan Gibson D.F.C., formerly of Bomber Command. So, is this possibly the same chap?

Many thanks,

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

There were at least 27 GIBSONs that won a DFC. Your man is the only one with ALAN as a forename. That is rather surprising, but there it is and so I would guess with confidence that the Elba man is the same chap.

Jim

Thanks

That prang also took the life of Chester Wilmot – one of the great WW2 historians. His “Struggle For Europe” was ‘Required Reading’ at Sandhurst, and the Staff College(s), for very many years! I recommend it to those of you who have not read it! Just remember that when he wrote it, he knew about ULTRA, etc, but was not allowed to say so! I still re-read his passage on the Paras preparations, on the eve of their D-Day drop (Wilmot actually ‘went in’ as a War Correspondent in a glider the same day!), with some awe!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks for that Jim, much appreciated. I thought there'd be a few Gibsons, but as there's only one Alan, he definitely seems to be my man.

Regards

Simon