Thread: What is a T.T. flight?

Thanks

Default What is a T.T. flight?

Hi,

in an ORB of a group of BC is mentioned that 4 a/c of T.T. flight took part in a raid. What actually is T.T. flight?

Best

Marcel

Thanks

Hello

It usually stands for Target Towing.

regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi,

thanks. I have no idea what target towing during a raid actually is. Could you please explain a bit? Thanks.

Marcel

Thanks

Target towing took place in various aircraft, you need to provide more information from the ORB to help us help you.......Target Towing was a training exercise.

Thanks

Hello Marcel,

As Colin explains, you don't give enough of the context to get proper explanations.

I can suggest that the raid is question was a "maximum" effort (like "Millenium"), and so all available machines were used to take part in the raid, including those from the Target Towing flight which seems to have shared the airfield. But with the limited amount of détails you provide, it's difficult to say more.

And if you Google 'target towing', you'll find easily plenty of détails.

Joss

Thanks

Target towing aircraft would seem unsuitable for use in a raid, with the possible exception of a Fairey Battle, which could at least carry a payload. It could be that some faster aircraft were used as some form of diversionary force but without knowing more this is purely speculation.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi,

sorry that I did not provide enough details. I thought it is just an understanding problem of mine. I had googled before but I could not imagine how that fits to a raid against a German town.

In the night raid report of 1.8.1942 it is said that the raid against Duesseldorf would be on a large scale. Quite a lot of OTU crews took part so that they could get operational experience and to add hitting power of the Command.

In the ORB of 1 group the group mentions that 4 a/c of T.T. flight took part. So I just did not understand. So there was (certainly) no necessity for target towing but the aircreaft assisted the others during this raid.

Sorry again but sometimes I am a bit uncertain because of my limited knowledge of the English language.

Best

Marcel