Thread: Targets for nights of August 30th and 31st, 1943

Thanks

Default Targets for nights of August 30th and 31st, 1943

From my great uncle's flight log, he lists 2 operational missions while stationed at 23 OTU. These missions took place on the nights of August 30 and 31, 1943. From the coordinates listed in his flight log, I believe the location of the August 30th raid was in the woods close to Watten, France, and the location of the August 31st raid was the woods north of Hesdin, France.

Does anyone know where I might find the operational orders for those missions, or where I might learn what the targets were for those nights?

Any help would be appreciated

David

Thanks

They were both ammunition dumps according to the Night Raid Report. I have the Lat/Long for both targets if you need them.
    Cheers

Thanks

Hi David

Thanks for the quick reply. If you could send the Lat/Long that would be much appreciated. Also, what is the Night raid report you mention. Is there a way to get a copy of that as a reference?

Regards,

David

Thanks

Hello

You need to access the OT.U.'s Operations Record Book held at the National Archives in Kew :
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4100376

in AIR 29/667.

I confirm raids by other O.T.U.s on these locations (in my research area) those nights. I don't have copies of No. 23 O.T.U.'s O.R.B. unfortunately. For example, No. 26 O.T.U. lost the crew of Wellington X serial number HE500 during the night 30/31 August 1943, near Rubrouck. Target was an ammunition dump the foret d'Eperlecques (more or less same location described as Watten). No survivor, one is buried in Rubrouck, the balance is buried in Longuenesse (St Omer) Cemetery.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

David - On the 30th the aiming point was 50.50N 02.10 E. On the 31st the aiming point was 50.23N 02.03E.
    if you message me with your email address I can send the two Night Raid Reports.
    Cheers
    Last edited by David Wallace; 15th December 2016 at 18:26.