Thread: Seeking Hurricane MkIIc BN377 & BE500 information

Thanks

Default Seeking Hurricane MkIIc BN377 & BE500 information

Hi all,

I have a Barry G. Price print of two Hurricane MkIIc aircraft which I will be donating to my local flying club. I've been trying to find out as much information as I can on the two aircraft depicted and was wondering if anyone on here was able to help.

What I have so far which may or may not be correct.

BE500 LK-A No. 87 Sqn. Sqn Ldr Dennis Smallwood at RAF Charmy Down, Somerset. RDM2 scheme for night intruder missions over occupied Europe Mar '41 - Oct '42. BE500 also served with No. 533 Sqn probably around Sept '42 since No. 533 Sqn was stood up at RAF Charmy Down on Sept 8 '42. No. 533 Sqn moved to the Far East and BE500 may have gone with it.

No.87 Sqn history shows that it operated Hurricanes from '41 to '44 and served in North Africa in Nov '42, Sicily Sept '43, and Italy/Balkans Jan '44.

As for BN377 LK-?, I have very little information. It is depicted with N. 87 Sqn but may have gone to North Africa with No. 80 Sqn.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks you for your time,

Matt

Thanks

Hi Matt,

As you're no doubt aware BE500 is well known due to a series of photos by Charles Brown, many well published. 1454 Flight used Havoc/Bostons in the Turbinlite roll out of Colerne assisted by 87 San Hurricanes from Charmy Down. 1454 was replaced by 533 Sqn, 2.9.42 - 25.1.43 and operated Bostons, Havocs and Hurricanes. I can't find any reference to 533 going to the Far East?
    BE500 was struck off charge 31.8.44 according to Air Britain.

Same source shows BN377 going to the Middle East and SOC 28.5.42 as Damaged Beyond Repair.
    cheers Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I misread about 533 sqn going to the Far East. This link here stated that after its time with 533 sqn, BE500 served in the Far East. Now it's not a credible source but it was the best I had to go with in hopes that it would point me in a promising direction.

That's very interesting about Charles Brown, I was not aware of him or his noteworthy photos. Air Britain sounds like a superb source. I wonder what lead to BN377's damage and why BE500 was SOC.

Thanks Peter!

Thanks

Generally speaking, fighter squadrons travelled overseas without their aircraft, collecting new ones on arrival. Air Britain (RAF Aircraft BA100-BZ999 published 1985) states that BE500 did indeed go to the FE. As all to common, no further detail is given which probably suggests it was not allocated to a combat unit - as it would be somewhat second-hand this is not too surprising. BN377 has the information above but adds No Further Detail. The most recent published relevant source is probably the appropriate volume of Chris Shore's et al history of The Mediterranean Air War, but if the loss was not due to combat then you're unlikely to find more.

Thanks

Hi Graham,

Okay, good to know. The trail ends. I have Chris Shores 2TAF 4 volume set and was unaware he had a 3 volume Med set as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by sierrahotel; 21st December 2016 at 01:24.