Thread: Airfield Security

Thanks

Default Airfield Security

Hi,

Who was tasked with airfield security on Bomber Command bases in WW2. Any pointers welcome.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve, Hi
    How long is a piece of string?
    Outside the perimeter wire, in UK, it was, mainly, "local forces" (Army, Police. Home Guard, (maybe RAF Regt?),etc, etc).
    Inside the perimeter wire it was, normally, the RAFP - supplemented by additional patrols staffed from within the airfield personnel.
    I suspect, however, that nomatter what the "Letter of The Law" was, there were many, local, exceptions! You only had to have a locally organised Escape & Evasion Exercise near an airfield and everybody got involved!!
    That is 'a holding answer'! The experts will be along later!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Steve,

My recollection of Lyneham during 1970s - 1980s is that it was the RAF regiment, but I appreciate things might have been different during WW2. However, see http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/history/ .

Brian

Thanks

Steve,

Like today, there is a fine line between security and defence, and you may have to refocus your question slightly mate.

Taking the Bomber Command airfield at Upwood as an example; in the Summer of 1940 the station was defended at various times by elements (normally at Company strength) of the Cambs Regt, Suffolk Regt, Northants Yeomanry, Beds and Herts Regt, KOSB, London Scottish Regt, 662nd General Construction Coy RE, 64th Searchlight Regt and 118th LAA Regt (and the list goes on!). In addition, upwards of 350 station personnel were trained and tasked to defend the station. These units were reinforced by the LDV / Home Guard as this organisation began to gather momentum, but it is clear from the ORB that Army units changed every few weeks during this period. This can not have been good for continuity. The Station Defence Scheme incorporated both green and blue elements inside and outside 'the wire'. Interestingly, the Watch Office was guarded by 1 RAF offr and 3 Ground Gunners on a 24/7 basis. The Water Tower was manned by one airman from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset. In June 1940 the station had '600 rifles, 130 light automatics, 2 anti-tank guns and a two-inch mortar' on its books to repel the dreaded hun.

I understand that the burden carried by the army began to diminish as the RAF acted upon Churchill's desire for the RAF to defend its own airfields. The Upwood ORB shows a steady drain of army units from late 1940 onwards, which appears to have caused problems for the station authorities. The RAF Regt gradually assumed responsibility for station defence, with the last army elements (LAA) rolling out in Dec 1942.

Security was the responsibility of the Provost element, i.e. manning of the Main Gate, issuing of Security passes, etc.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.