Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Religious Parades near RAE Farnborough

Thanks

Default RAF Religious Parades near RAE Farnborough

During WW2, in the event of a major religious service involving RAF personnel taking place off base, where would this most likely occur for airmen from RAE Farnborough? The reason I ask is that I am trying to identify a series of photographs where the parade is lead by a Polish Air Force Squadron Leader but he is not wearing his Poland shoulder flashes - suggesting to me that it was just after the end of the War when he had transferred to the RAF - at which time he was at Farnborough.

Thanks

If you have any photographs that include any prominent building such as a church it might help if they were added to the gallery.

Edit. I have an aerial photo of Farnborough circa 1939; it's not complete in terms of coverage but does include the RAF site along the eastern boundary: however it is difficult to see where a church parade would be held on the camp at that time.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 25th November 2016 at 23:07.

Thanks

I have a set of five photographs but I cannot add them as I am being asked for an URL which I don't have because they are on my desktop and even at the bottom of this page on the site it says You may not post attachments.

Neville

Thanks

Well the church at Aldershot ain't too far away and is now a major cemetery as well.

How do you know the man is Polish? Some RAF personnel were presented with the Polish flying badge and wore it with pride until the bureaucracy got in the way (a bit like the attempt to stop pathfinders wearing their badge).

Have you checked the Form 540 and can you describe the church in terms of its structure and the surrounding location? Are you certain that the location is actually at Farnborough or could it be that everybody was taken to - say - Guildford/Woking or somewhere like that.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    I have a set of five photographs but I cannot add them as I am being asked for an URL which I don't have because they are on my desktop and even at the bottom of this page on the site it says You may not post attachments.

Neville
    Do you have a photobucket/flickr (or similar) account ? - you can use that to post photos on forums.

rgds baz

Thanks

Hello Baz,

Thank you - I know how to post photos on the site but the site just won't let me do it!

Neville

Thanks

Hello Colin,

I have already replied to your post but it just disappeared! I know he was Polish because I am researching his career for his family! His name was Mieczyslaw Szklarski and he started as ground crew then retrained as a Wop/Ag before completing a full tour of duty with 304 Polish Bomber Squadron. The highest rank he achieved was Flight Sergeant. I don't know what rank he is in the picture but, within 2 years, he was a Squadron Leader. There are 5 photos of all sides of the Church and what looks to be a bridge over a river. At the time he was at RAE Farnborough and I have just assumed the parade was near there. In the first photo there is what looks like a white telephone box but it could be yellow. White could only be Hull and yellow could only be the Channel Islands. If it is not there (and none of my contacts in those areas recognise it - my family comes from Guernsey) it seems reasonable to suppose that it was near Farnborough. He never served outside Britain. If you would like to see the photos, please email me on nevillebougourd@gmail.com and I will send you copies.

Neville

Thanks

I used to live in Farnborough - can you email me the photos?

Thanks

Hello Bob,

My pleasure - but I need an email address! My email address is shown above if you would like to send me an email, I will send you the pictures.

Neville

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Hello Baz,

Thank you - I know how to post photos on the site but the site just won't let me do it!

Neville
    The reason I posted was that you do not need to use an attachment with photobucket etc - it is an img code -

A random shot ...

The bottom of my page also says 'I may not post attachments' but with photobucket etc it is an img code !

rgds baz