Thread: Aircraft Codes for 233 & 437 Squadrons

Thanks

Default Aircraft Codes for 233 & 437 Squadrons

Hi,
    I'm looking for the Squadron & aircraft code for my father's Dakota. Plane # FZ679. It was taken on Strength in March 1944 by RAF 233 Squadron. He flew this plane on D-Day "Operation Tonga" and later this same AC was taken on strength by RCAF 437 Squadron, in Sept 1944 and he flew into Arnhem twice and was diverted once. I believe 233 Squadron code was 5T but I have no record of the plane's code. 437 Squadron code I believe was Z2, but again I can't find any record of the AC code. I have searched his Flight Log, nothing listed. I searched the Squadron ORBs, again nothing. I looked it up in the "RCAF Squadrons and Aircraft" by Kostenuk and Green, again nothing, and I searching everything I could find on the Web or emailing persons and Museums with no results.
    I was wondering if anyone could assist me? I'm building a model of my Dad's Dakota, FZ679, and would really like the AC code letter. I'm assuming it could be the same AC Code in 437 as it was in 233??
    Note: my father crashed it on Feb 15, 1945 at Lyon-Bron, France (ALG Y6) when his starboard engine cut on TO. It was SOC Feb 22, 1945.
    Interesting enough: this same AC, serial #12276, rolled off the Douglas Plant in Santa Monica California 2 years later and was the last DC3 Conversion that plant ever did. It was sold to Sabena as s/n 43154, Code OO-AWH. Still don't know how it got way around the world for rebuilding, and some have suggested it was just a paperwork - serial number swap as it was most likely scrapped in France ?? Not sure if using write-off serial numbers for rebuilds was allowed, or done in 1947 ... even Boeing can't give me a 100% either way, except suggesting it was rebuilt, but how much of the original air frame was used they can't say.

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

Thanks

G'day Doug

Let me do a bit more checking before I can confirm what I have dug up so far.

Dakota Mk. III s/n FZ679 and coded Z2-DW (NOTE: The squadron records show it simply as DW) was part of 'B' Flight. It was one of three aircraft tasked with ferrying spares. It swung during the take-off roll and crashed into a parked a Martin B-26 Marauder and another, unidentified aircraft, after the starboard engine failed at Lyon-Bron on the 15th of February 1945. Their were no injuries to the crew:

Captain Flight Lieutenant R. S. Down
    2nd Pilot Flying Officer T. E. Stewart
    Navigator Flight Lieutenant D.A. Cox
    Wireless Operator Pilot Officer R. Mercer

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thank you so much Chris!!
    Question: Squadron Records you talk about are they the ORB?? ... or are they another record set? Can I pay and download those if they aren't the ORBs?

Thanking you again

Doug