Thread: Canadian Officer Donald 'Don' H Mclean ? maybe ex Sgt D H McLean R/92022.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Canadian Officer Donald 'Don' H Mclean ? maybe ex Sgt D H McLean R/92022.

In Robert Stitt Coastal Command Post below he is trying to ID a D H Mclean

I think he maybe Commonwealth either Canada, Aus or NZ - I think probably Canadian - He is certainly not on any RAF Air Force List I can find or CWGC

I think he maybe Canadian for 2 reason

He may be http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/5otu.htm

(C) OTU aircraft to our shores occurred on the 29th October 1942

1) Sgt D H McLean R/92022.

Also
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/64055586/

Hard to read OCR
    "

FO. D. H. McLEAN z-.. hn attend the Vic Lethbridge appreciation oi ie constituency
    of his services in the tory Loan concert at the Capitol theatre Sundav evening will see one war plants to civilian production i movement to

Flying Officer D. H. McLfin. a bombing leader at No. 8 Bombing and Gunnery School here since last December rm, r.ffir-er r-omnleted a tour of vince before party in restoring the good name and credit of Alberta, "

But now maybe a F/O and newspaper mention Hudson and Flying Fortress

However I can't pin him down further.. Can anyone ID Sgt D H McLean R/92022. or FO. D. H. McLEAN and see if same person and his name?

Thanks
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 22nd December 2016 at 12:40.

Thanks

Bingo...Guy we are interested in before commission

http://doralholdings.com/eallen/part2.html

"Roy Neilson and I had the only completely Canadian crews on the squadron, but there were a lot of other navigators and W/Op A/G's. Roy and I had a discussion about this and decided we should request a posting to a Canadian squadron. We got paraded in front of Bartlett and made the request. He asked us to leave the request with him."

" I had to tell Don McLean I was making a change. I felt like a real shit about this and for awhile it looked as though Al Henry would leave the crew as a protest, but with considerable input from LaForme and Fleiger, we finally convinced Al that it was for the good of the crew and Al elected to stay with us. This was a great relief to me as I considered he was by far the best W /Op in the squadron. Don McLean ended up a few weeks later as navigator with a second tour pilot, Flt. Lt. Heron, an Englishman. When he converted to the Fortress, Heron overshot on landing at Chivenor and the aircraft was a write-off. Two W/OP AG's were killed but Don survived with a few aches and pains."
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 22nd December 2016 at 12:27.

Thanks

Getting closer

1867-1946 (Dominion of Canada), volume 80, number 21, 25 May 1946, page 94

Navigation Officer "B" Branch

Promotions
    To be Temporary Flight Lieutenant :

T/F/O D. H . McLean, ( J16692 )
    7 DeC 44

Thanks

The D H McLean i mention on my page there was not on the aircraft in ireland but Sgt McGhee served with him on or around:
    13-Mar-43 to 2-Jan-44

D H McLean R/92022 flew a combar mission with 455 SQn on March 24 1943

if FA698 of 59 Sqn was lost at Chivenor on March 26, 1943 it would rule out D H McLean R/92022 as he was flying at that time with 455 Sqn
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 22nd December 2016 at 23:35. Reason: added some ORB details
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks "D H Mclean" was not lost on FA698 but was on the aircraft. Though whoever he was he was P/O by then

Thanks

that newspaper article reads:

15 April 1944
    Citizens who attend the Victory Loan concert at the Capitol theatre Sunday evening will see one airman who flew with the "Dawn Patrol" in this war - Flying Officer D H Mclean, a bombing leader at No 8 Bombing and Gunnery School here since last December.

The officer completed a tour of operations overseas before being invalided home following an air crash in which he suffered serious back injuries.

He was a navigator-bomber on operations and flew in Hudsons, Flying Fortresses and Liberators. Most of his action was attacking German shipping. He also helped cover raiding Allied troops at Dieppe.
    Engaged in the coal business at Edmonton, the young man enlisted in January 1941 and went overseas a year later. He returned to Canada last September.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Many thanks, Paul and Richard.

Great detective work with all questions addressed.

Robert

Thanks

DH. McLean J-16692 R-86825 Nav B
    Not the right guy

Richard