Thread: Luftwaffe raids on Liverpool + Manchester 1940

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe raids on Liverpool + Manchester 1940

Hi all,

I am aware that this theme is little off topic but I will try my luck.
    What was the trace of German bombers arrival to the target?
    Directly from the south - from the French coast & the Channel or over the sea (Irish sea etc.) and then towards the target?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    A number of raids to Liverpool flew up the Irish Sea and used the lights of Dublin and then to fly East to Liverpool. On other occasions they crossed over neutral Ireland on the south coast, flying north through the Midlands before tracking east and crossing the coast just north of Dublin to Liverpool, Belfast or Glasgow.
    HTH
    Tony K

Thanks

Thanks Tony for your answer.
    The reason why I was asking is that I have read some accounts about "hearing German bombers going to bom Liverpool" from witnesses around Whitchurch. So I am trying to establish if it was a standard route or it was only an lost bomber trying to find the target or for example bombers reutrning back to France.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

II flught KG 55 flew from Chartres west of Paris to Manchester. No doubt avoiding Cities and Northolt (303 Polish Squadron) otherwise they had nothing to worry about. I flughte kG 55 flew Liverpool and III flughte flew Birmingham all on their own. KG 55 did not use Knickebein

Thanks

The 22nd bomb that night landed in York Street Chorlton on medlock and destroyed my Grans house

Thanks

Having just checked my notes, KG 100 flew X-Verfarhen amd IIIKG 36 the Y -Vergarhen and IIKG 55 were dead reckoners. KG 100 and IIIKG 36 carried flares (Probably green and Blue) and IIKG 55 carried flares (probably red) and SD 1000 bombs(about a tonne). Collectively they were the Firelighters or Beluchtergruppen. The equivalent of pathfinders. The bombs were to destroy water mains to inhibit putting out the fires. 270 aircraft dropped 250 tonnes of explosives and 1032 flares. James Edward Norman died in 101 York Street. The Knickebein was a single dog leg