Thread: S/L D.J. Smith Commanding Officer RCAF No. 135 Squadron at Terrace, BC

Thanks

Default S/L D.J. Smith Commanding Officer RCAF No. 135 Squadron at Terrace, BC

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]I am searchingfor information on S/L D.J. Smith who was the commander of the RCAF No. 135Fighter Squadron at Terrace, BC, from November 1943 to March 1944. The City ofTerrace is doing a heritage project in recognition of the RCAF contributions tothe creation of the Terrace Airport (YXT). We know very little about this man.Other than he arrived from Western Air Command on Nov 9, 1943, to take commandof the No. 135 Squadron just days before their move from Annette Island, Alaskato Terrace, BC. He would remain in Terrace as O.C. until the No. 135 was movedfrom Terrace to Patricia Bay, BC in March 1944. Smith would continue as O.C. ofthe No. 135 on arrival in Patricia Bay.

We are searching for some background information about D.J. Smith. What was hisprevious experience before commanding the No. 135? Like the previous commandersof the No. 135 (Connell and Reyno) did he have experience in the Battle ofBritain? It would be helpful if we could find his service number. And we wouldlove to have a photo of him for our project.

I have stumbled across a few other DJ Smiths out there that served during WWIIbut not this particular DJ Smith. I have also gone through the online RCAF operational records of the No. 135 looking for clues but that has not produced much more. Any help would be appreciated.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks

A possible lead here:

The Globe and Mail, June 8, 1942 (http://collections.civilisations.ca/...hp?irn=5013084).

"A British Columbian, Pilot Officer D. J. Smith, of Oliver, was class leader and honor student Saturday when another big group of air gunners graduated from No. 4 Bombing and Gunnery School, Fingal. He was the only member of the class who received a commission, official notice of his promotion coming from Ottawa about five minutes before he left on leave."
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    A possible lead here:

The Globe and Mail, June 8, 1942 (http://collections.civilisations.ca/...hp?irn=5013084).

"A British Columbian, Pilot Officer D. J. Smith, of Oliver, was class leader and honor student Saturday when another big group of air gunners graduated from No. 4 Bombing and Gunnery School, Fingal. He was the only member of the class who received a commission, official notice of his promotion coming from Ottawa about five minutes before he left on leave."
    Thanks for the tip Fox. Unfortunately I have been down this road already. I also discovered this same DJ Smith on the http://rcaffingal.blogspot.ca/ website but when I contacted the websites author he emailed the following response "I don't believe the D.J. Smith who graduated asa non-pilot in 1942, would be the same D.J. Smith who was a squadron leader(most probably a pilot) of No. 135(Fighter) Squadron".

There seem to be quite a few DJ Smiths out there. If we had more than the initials DJ it might help narrow our search. Here's hopin'.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Ken Newman; 8th December 2016 at 16:13. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Just a little more to this. I just received from the BC Aviation Museum a few photos from their archives that included a photo of Dave Smith. The hand written note attached to the photo says S/L Dave Smith "The Boss" of 135 from ...(can't read it)... to Jan 45.

I would post the photo here but I can't seem to figure out how to add it to this post.

Thanks

G'day Ken

The only two Canadian Smiths who flew during the Battle of Britain were:

Pilot Officer A. W. Smith
    Summerland, British Columbia
    No. 141 (F) Squadron
    Boulton Paul Defiant Mk. I

Flying Officer R. R. Smith
    London, Ontario
    No. 73 (F) Squadron
    Hawker Hurricane Mk. I

Squadron Leader D. J. Smith assumed command of No. 135 'Bulldog' (F) Squadron on the 9th of November, 1943. He assumed command from Squadron Leader W. C. Connell who had served from the 19th of July, 1941 to the 30th of October, 1943. Smith relinquished command on the 10th of April, 1945 to Flight Lieutenant A. R. MacKenzie DFC.

You can send me an email to: ccharlandATcogecoDOTca

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    G'day Ken

The only two Canadian Smiths who flew during the Battle of Britain were:

Pilot Officer A. W. Smith
    Summerland, British Columbia
    No. 141 (F) Squadron
    Boulton Paul Defiant Mk. I

Flying Officer R. R. Smith
    London, Ontario
    No. 73 (F) Squadron
    Hawker Hurricane Mk. I

Squadron Leader D. J. Smith assumed command of No. 135 'Bulldog' (F) Squadron on the 9th of November, 1943. He assumed command from Squadron Leader W. C. Connell who had served from the 19th of July, 1941 to the 30th of October, 1943. Smith relinquished command on the 10th of April, 1945 to Flight Lieutenant A. R. MacKenzie DFC.

You can send me an email to: ccharlandATcogecoDOTca

Cheers...Chris
    Thanks Chris, I appreciate the help. It clears up at least one question. DJ Smith wasn't part of the Battle of Britain.