Thread: Info re RAF personnel, PO T(homas) B(ernard?) Kearns and Godfrey (aka Geoff) Cross

Thanks

Default Info re RAF personnel, PO T(homas) B(ernard?) Kearns and Godfrey (aka Geoff) Cross

Am looking for any information about the service record of these two individuals, both of whom were my uncles, one the elder brother of my father, the other the oldest brother of my mother. Both flew in Lancasters, but I do not know with which squadrons. All I know of Geoff Cross is that he flew in a crew piloted by a New Zealander or Australian whose first name was Ian. Tom Kearns also flew the Berlin airlift I believe, and, amazingly, returned to the priesthood on leaving the air force!

Both my uncles are now deceased, and I have tried without success to find info about them in the usual places.

Can anyone add to my meagre knowledge?

Thanks

Hi,
    Iím afraid I canít offer anything on Geoff / Godfrey Cross but from the London Gazette there is some basic info on Thomas Bernard Kearns.

Supplement to London Gazette 12 June 1945 p3075
    Appointments to commission as Pilot Officer on probation (emergency) :-
    w.e.f. 13th Apr 1945 : 1892301 Flt Sgt Thomas Bernard Kearns (197561)

Supplement to London Gazette 16 November 1945 p5587
    Commission Confirmed and promoted to Flying Officer :-
    w.e.f. 13th Oct 1945 : T.B.Kearns (197363)

You might have already found the above but in any event armed with his service numbers you should have no problem getting a copy of his service record from the RAF and this will show all his postings and promotions.

Out of interest were your uncles from Wales ? I tried looking for their births and the likely candidates were from Wales although Iím not at all sure I found a credible candidate to be your uncle Godfrey Cross. However there is a Thomas B Kearns born in Cardiff Q1 1925 that looks a possible. His date of birth fits well with Thomasí initial service number (1892301) which indicates someone joining up at Euston early in 1943. Someone born in Q1 1925 would turn 18 early in 1943.

Best of luck, J.

Thanks

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply. You have given me a deal of info to be going on with. You are right about the Thomas B Kearns date of birth as my uncle - along with his nine brothers and sisters - was born in Cardiff. Also now I have his service number - 1892301 - I can search for his service record in the archives.
    Since I posted I have discovered that the other uncle's full name was Ernest Godfrey Cross and that he was called 'Geoff' because there was another Godfrey in his crew. My grandmother always called him Godfrey or 'Goff' but we knew him as Uncle Geoff. He was also from Wales as the family was presumably living in Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, mid-Wales when he was born. The whole family lived there until they moved to Oswestry just before the war.
    Again, my thanks. I now have something to work on, especially trying to find out which squadrons they flew with.