Thread: Help with 2 pilots killed in the Scottish Borders

Thanks

Default Help with 2 pilots killed in the Scottish Borders

I'm trying get some information (aircraft types, etc) on two Pilots of (I think) Fighter Command who were killed in air crashes in the Scottish Borders.

James Reid Wilson age 20 Flying Officer/Pilot (150057) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was killed near Annan Infectious Diseases Hospital in Dumfriesshire on 18 August 1943.

George William Ransome Ford age 24 Flying Officer/Pilot (173343) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was killed on Lamberton Moor, Mordington, Berwickshire on 13 April 1945.

Both were former pupils of Whitehill School in Glasgow.

The crash locations are from their Death Register entries but my usual sources of crash site information do not mention either event.
    Can anyone help, please?

Ken

Thanks

Thanks

Ken,

I know it doesn't answer your query, but I should mention that Annan is not in the Scottish Borders, but rather Dumfries & Galloway. They are two entirely separate administrative areas.

Thanks

Simon - thank you so much. I'd searched for their names but without success.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Ian - I live in D&G so I should know better! I was using the term "Scottish Borders" loosely - that's my excuse anyway!

Cheers
    Ken

Thanks

Just in case anyone else wants the info:

George William Ransome Ford – age 24 – Flying Officer/Pilot (173343) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    George was commissioned in February 1944 and promoted to FO in August 1944. He served in Fighter Command. He was killed when his Hawker Tempest fighter crashed on Lamberton Moor, Mordington, Berwickshire. He was attending the No. 9 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit (PAFU) based at RAF Errol in Perthshire, part of the 56th Operational Training Unit.
    Born 1920 in Dennistoun, Glasgow. Son of George William and Joan Andrews (Kean) Ford of Dennistoun, Glasgow.
    Died on Active Service on 13 April 1945.
    Commonwealth War Grave – Paisley (Woodside) Crematorium, Renfrewshire.

James Reid Wilson – age 20 – Flying Officer/Pilot (150057) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Fighter Command.
    James was commissioned from Aircraftman (1560053) in January 1943 and promoted to F/O in July. He was killed when his Hawker Hurricane, of 55 Operational Training Unit based at RAF Annan, Dumfriesshire, crashed near the Annan Infectious Diseases Hospital.
    Born 1923 in Dennistoun, Glasgow. Son of Alexander Thomas Wilson and of Catherine (Reid) Wilson of 14 Ardmillan Street, Riddrie, Glasgow E1.
    Died on Active Service on 18 August 1943.
    Commonwealth War Grave – Glasgow (Riddrie Park) Cemetery.
    Last edited by kenmorrison; 2nd January 2017 at 16:25.