Thread: Bombing Raids on Norway

Thanks

Default Bombing Raids on Norway

Can anyone please help with information on bombing raids on German Military installations in Norway or ports and industrial targets there. Firstly, did the Allies attempt this and secondly (if so) which squadrons were involved? Many thanks.

Thanks

The Bomber Command War Diaries (M.Middlebrook & C.Everitt) gives details of the Bomber Command operations against Norway between 9th April and 10th May 1940. The most visited target was Stavanger Airfield but various other airfields were also attacked as was, on at least on occasion, an oil storage depot at Oslo. 115 sqn carried out the first international raid by Bomber Command against mainland Europe when a force of Wellingtons attacked Stavanger (Sola) airfield on 11 April 1940.

Hope this is of some assistance. J

Thanks

Thank you norfolkjohn,

That helps a lot. It is outside my normal territory and I had no idea whether it had ever happened.

Neville

Thanks

Hi Neville
    I suggest that you look at the records of both Bomber and Coastal Command as there was a fairly consistent campaign of attacks up and down Norway throughout the war. The primary targets were shipping and warehousing and factories in various ports using Beaufighters and Mosquitos, but dont forget the efforts of 617 and 9 Sqns against the various locations where Tirpitz was hiding and the raids into the Telemark district to destroy the power station at Rjukan which was producing Heavy Water that was taken by the Germans for their Nuclear programme, these attacks also included raids by the US 8th Air Force.. and by the RN against capital ships
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 5th January 2017 at 09:19.

Thanks

US 8th Air Force attacked Molybdenum plants in Norway late in 1943. This was in the period when they stepped back from targets in Germany (between Schweinfurt/Regensburg and the availability of sufficient long range fighters).

Richard

Thanks

Thank you Dick,

The information I had was very sketchy and did not mention any specific squadron or target. However, the mention of Mosquitos might narrow down my search considerably. Frankly, the story I have heard seems highly unlikely but I don't want to ignore it without at least making some effort to check it out.

Neville

Thanks

Thank you Richard,

I am clutching at straws to prove or disprove an unlikely story! All information is helpful because my own knowledge of bombing in this area is nil!

Neville

Thanks

Neville, can you give us a date or maybe whether it was a large raid? Daytime or night?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello Bruce,

I am really beginning to think that this might be a story that has been trawled up out of someone's imagination - but I have to check it out to be absolutely sure. There are no dates and the story is that he (a Polish airman) was shot down and parachuted into the sea where he scrambled onto an ice floe from where he was rescued (no details there either!). He was allegedly wounded and lost all his finger tips (nails? - or possibly a bad translation of frostbite?). As I see it, it could only be in the North Sea (most likely near Norway) or the Baltic.

It would have to be before or after his service with 304 Squadron - because he was never shot down when serving with them. That realistically means the winter of 1942/43 or 1944/45. He was an air gunner so the plane that was shot down would have to be a bomber. He died in 1966 so the story has come down by word of mouth and may be totally untrue or seriously embellished! But I have to try to check it out. I have no other information. If I can neither substantiate nor debunk the story, I will just have to ignore it.

Just to make it more complicated, his name was Czeslaw Sokolowski P-784225, he was an air gunner and was with 304 Squadron but there was another Czeslaw Sokolowski
    P-706814, who was a wireless operator and also served time with 304 Squadron. They were both sergeants.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

I think that this story actually refers to Zygmunt Bohdan Sokolowski whose plane was hit by flak and crashed in the North Sea on the way home. It looks like family lore has distorted the story and the two men's adventures have been mixed up. I don't know how the ice floe embellishment happened!

Thanks to all who responded.

Neville