Thread: William Alan Harkness - DFC....?

Thanks

Default William Alan Harkness - DFC....?

Hello everyone

This could be a wild goose chase, so apologies in advance.

I have the following article from the Sunderland Echo, August 29th 1953:

TEACHER MARRIES WAR HERO
    A teacher at North Road Infants' School, Boldon Colliery, Miss Rita Turnbull, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Turnbull, of The Terrace, Boldon Colliery, was married to-day in the West Harton Methodist Church, South Shields, to Mr. William Alan Harkness, D.F.C., the only son of Mrs. Harkness, of Talbot Road, South Shields, and the late Mr. P. B. Harkness.

So, who was this William Alan Harkness, and when/how/why did he win the D.F.C.? Can't find anything on the LG. I did find a 'W A Harkness' mentioned in the book 'Ton Up Lancs', but he is listed as R.C.A.F., and there's nothing about an award on the http://rcafassociation.ca website.

So, has the Echo reporter got the facts right? Did he win the D.F.C., or as it another medal altogether? I can't find a William Alan Harkness in Air 78/70. Was he in the R.A.F. at all - was it perhaps the D.S.C.?

I've managed to track down William Alan Harkness (born August 30th 1922, registered South Shields), and his parents' marriage too, so the name is right.

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon
    I checked Michael Maton's "Honour the Air Forces" and can see 5 awards to men named Harkness during WW2 but not this chap.
    best of luck Pete

Thanks

Thanks for checking Pete, much appreciated. I think there may have been a slight mix-up somewhere when the reporter wrote the article.

Regards

Simon