Thread: 405 Sqdn Halifax HR810 LQ-X Lost 5/6th Sept 1943 Nussloch 9km sse Heidelburg (moved)

Thanks

Default 405 Sqdn Halifax HR810 LQ-X Lost 5/6th Sept 1943 Nussloch 9km sse Heidelburg (moved)

Hi

My father Sgt J H Briggs was the wireless operator on HR810 LQ-X when the plane was lost on a mission to Mannheim.

My father survived losing an eye and suffering serious damage to his back and his foot, saw the war out in various hospitals and camps 357 and L6.

Came home, had three children, died in 1970 age 49.

I have visited the graves of the three crew member KIA at Durnbach Cemetery and left a White Rose from their pal from Yorkshire.

Inspired by the visit I became involved with The War Graves Photographic Project and through a recent communication with an ex work colleague, I discovered that he had researched the site of his Uncle's crashed Lancaster also in 1943.

This is all preamble to ask where should I start to find the precise location of the crashed Halifax "9kms SSE of Heidleburg", the three KIA crew were buried initially at Nussloch. I know nothing else, but would happily visit Nussloch and walk the area if it is likely that there are any remains.

I have visited many many CWGC sites and taken 1000s of pictures to help individuals find the last resting place of a long lost loved one, this is something new and I don't know where to start.

Any help or encouragement would be very welcome.

Thanks

Hello Inverexy and welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to the General forum where it will get more views.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

When I was researching my partner's grandfather, who was lost over Bonn in February 1945, I contacted Uwe Benkel who put me in touch with a historian in the Bonn area who carried out research at the local archives, made appeals in newspapers and talked to eye-witnesses etc.

Uwe can be contacted via http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarlan...itsgruppe.html

One other route is to contact the Air Historical Branch as there may be details of the crash site in the MRES Report which it can release to the general public (It can also release details of the loss of an individual to their next of kin). There is a charge for the service, but again, it provided me with details which proved extremely useful.

Hope that is helpful and has inspired you to continue your research

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 9th January 2017 at 18:19.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello

You can also try to get your father's PoW questionnaire from the National Archives in Kew. It should be in reference WO 344/40/1. I have another Briggs (P.S.E. Briggs) from that volume. I don't have your father's. It may have the place he was captured. Not sure, but anyway it might be interesting for your family research.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Bruce
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bruce dennis View Post
    Hello Inverexy and welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to the General forum where it will get more views.

Regards,
    Bruce

Thanks

Thanks Pete

Very Helpful, i'll let you know how it goes

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    When I was researching my partner's grandfather, who was lost over Bonn in February 1945, I contacted Uwe Benkel who put me in touch with a historian in the Bonn area who carried out research at the local archives, made appeals in newspapers and talked to eye-witnesses etc.

Uwe can be contacted via http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarlan...itsgruppe.html

One other route is to contact the Air Historical Branch as there may be details of the crash site in the MRES Report which it can release to the general public (It can also release details of the loss of an individual to their next of kin). There is a charge for the service, but again, it provided me with details which proved extremely useful.

Hope that is helpful and has inspired you to continue your research

Regards

Pete