Thread: Met. Man at RAF Benbecula, 1942/43

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Met. Man at RAF Benbecula, 1942/43

Hi Brian and Peter (I'm assuming):

Do you know the name of the Met man (assuming there was only one) at Benbecula from mid-1942 to the spring of 1943. Can tell you he wore glasses and a kilt, really.

Robert

Thanks

Ouch, that's a difficult one, Robert. From the small amount of information about the airfield I've dug up I estimate there would have been at least 4 observers (ORs) and two forecasters (officers) to provide 24-hour cover. Is your man an officer, and if so what rank?

The Benbecula office became operational during August 1942 and, if I know his rank, I might be able to deduce his name from correspondence in the Station History File in the Met Office Archives. But I don't want to raise your hopes too much as in my experience most correspondence has been culled.

Brian

Thanks

Only have a photo, Brian. Seems to be in civvies and would deduce he is a Scotsman but that likely doesn't help. Oh, and it appears to be windy if that's helpful....? :-)

Robert

Thanks

Robert,

Your throw-away comment about 'windy' implies the photo was taken outside; in which case that suggests it was taken in the instrument enclosure and that the subject was an observer. If I'm correct it would be near impossible to identify the man as there were probably four observers at any one time. However, could you copy the photo to me to see if I can pick up any other clue?

Brian

Thanks

Robert - that wasn't windy for Benbecula.

I had hoped the (Met Office) Station History file (SHf) would provide a clue to the man's identity; a SHf usually contains documents or memos written by the Senior Met Officer or his deputy, but in this case the first entry in the file was dated 1957 - 15 years after the station opened in 1942! I next tried the cover of the Daily Register (in which observations were recorded); that should have had the names of the met observers written on the front cover - except they weren't.

I'm afraid there are no other obvious lines of investigation, but did you ever receive a reply from Peter Rackliff?

Brian

Thanks

Thanks for looking, Brian.

Haven't tried Peter yet - will let you know how it goes.

Robert

Thanks

Leave Peter to me, Robert, I will phone him tomorrow to see if he thinks he can help.

Brian

Thanks

Apologies for the delay, Robert, but the chap's name is Derek Sadler. That comes from Mike Hughes (http://www.birlinn.co.uk/Hebrides-at...841581439.html) via Peter Rackliff. I understand he was a bit of a character, building his own canoes and visiting the islands in them!

Brian

Thanks

Way to go, Brian. Thanks so much to you, Mike and Peter.

Robert