Thread: Papers for Combined Chiefs of Staff (CCS) Meetings

Thanks

Default Papers for Combined Chiefs of Staff (CCS) Meetings

I am hoping we might have members who have experience of documents at the National Archives generated by the meetings of the British CCS. I have experience of finding odd CCS reports/papers that were produced "by the secretaries" to support agenda items considered in the British CCS Committees. These papers have reference numbers "C.C.S. XXX" so for example I have seen a paper in an AIR 20 file which is CCS 217 "Plan for Combined Bomber Offensive from the United Kingdom" dated 14 May 1943.

I am looking for a paper "CCS 309" but I do not know the title. The paper was about or related to the Pointblank Directive and it was possibly submitted over Portal's signature and I am guessing it was dated in September 1943.

In my pathetic searching of Discovery I have not found any obvious leads and I accept I may need to resort to the usual unproductive trawling through longshots. However I am wondering whether there are files at Kew which a board member might know about that contain all the CCS agenda/supporting papers in numerical or chronological order.... hahaha!

Any help greatly appreciated

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

CAB99 is the first call for an index.

Pick your meeting

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...owse/r/h/C3906

Then navigate to the free download for the index of CCS papers in that conference

eg (for CCS 94 - just an example of what can be found)
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4209169

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 10th January 2017 at 12:40.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello Steve,
    Further to the comment from Ross, I believe the meeting of 23 September is a good candidate. Item 6 on the agenda: '6. Operation "Pointblank": Use of Airfields in Italy. '

There is a file of minutes of that meeting (CAB79/64/21) and 'CC 309' is cited as a reference but is not included. It is likely reproduced in one or other of the CAB99 files if you follow the guidance from Ross, and may also be included in other files but I only had a quick peek.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi,
    Combined Chiefs of Staff conferences minutes and papers can be found online at the Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library for example "Sextant" and "Eureka" in November December 1943 are here:
    I searched for "Combined Chiefs", as I had looked for the "Rattle" Conference in the past.
    http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/s.../id/3691/rec/5
    Hope this is what you are looking for.
    Alan.

Thanks

Gentlemen

Thanks very much for your prompt and helpful replies I had seen a lot of the CAB stuff but could not decide if they were a close hit! I will investigate your leads... Kew is a long way from Bristol so time is precious!!

Thanks again
    Steve

Thanks

Alan: that is a fantastic link and I believe it will be useful to a lot of people here.

bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Trouble with the Combined Arms Research Library is it is too easy to get side tracked, must have got side tracked hundreds of times over the past few years.

Alan.

Thanks

Gentlemen

Thanks to those who offered ideas on this search. I am sorry to say Ross that I could not get my head around CAB 99 but on a recent sortie to Kew I found CAB 88. This seems to contain the "Minutes" of all CCOS meetings and the "Memoranda" for all CCOS meetings. So the paper that I was after was in CAB 88/15.

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruce dennis View Post
    Hello Steve,
    Further to the comment from Ross, I believe the meeting of 23 September is a good candidate. Item 6 on the agenda: '6. Operation "Pointblank": Use of Airfields in Italy. '

There is a file of minutes of that meeting (CAB79/64/21) and 'CC 309' is cited as a reference but is not included. It is likely reproduced in one or other of the CAB99 files if you follow the guidance from Ross, and may also be included in other files but I only had a quick peek.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Bruce, the question I raised previously with regards documents labelled 'CMS XYZ' etc, would seem to relate to this subject do you think?